Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kobelco SK60 Fault codes

kp100 ยท 2014-03-08 14:39

Last December when it got cold my stepping motor seemed to have trouble finding the start position. I lubed up the cable and arm on the motor and it was better. Put it in the shed and now when I try to start it after sitting in this cold winter it will not even attempt to turn over. When it was cold a few days ago the stepping motor had the same problem and wouldn't find the start position. After manually moving the arm and more lubing and some warmer weather it seems to be finding the start after normal cycling. Now when I turn on the key the stepping motor cycles and then stops. It is showing low fuel fault 15 and then a charge 16 showing the battery. It's not low in fuel as the indicator shows and I think the batteries are OK. The battery symbol always shows before starting. Could the false low fuel and the nothing when I move the key to the start position be from low batteries? Usually with low batteries you still get a click or something. Kevin

Replies8
  1. #1kp1002014-03-10 15:56

    I wasn't suspecting battery's. It's a 2 battery system hook together to make 24V. I had just put one new 1 in last fall and the original was fine at that time. I visually inspected them and all looked good. When I turned the key from on to start nothing was happening not even the dimming of lights. Anyways I tested the battery's and 1 showed dead. I removed it and sure enough the bottom and back end had blown out from being frozen. Installed a new battery and fired right up with everything reading normal. Now the question is why is the same battery failing and the original older 1 is fine. If something was draining the system would it not pull both battery's down the same? The only difference is I have a 12V radio running off the second battery but it was off. Is it possible the maintenance of the radio can drain 1 battery and not effect the first 1?

  2. #2Jaybo2014-03-10 17:23

    I've always been told you always replace ALL your batteries if you have one go bad. It supposedly brings the new battery down to the same condition of the older battery and will fail sooner..

  3. #3grandkobelco2014-03-10 19:43

    Do not install a 12 V radio to 1 battery of a 24V system. The second battery will not charge properly. Buy a 24v/ 12v transformer and run your radio to that.

  4. #4kp1002014-03-11 07:43

    Surprised When I first bought the machine and it was at the Kobelco dealer I asked if there was anyplace to get keyed 12V power. They said no and installed the single 12V line to the cab so I could install a radio. Obviously they are unaware of this fact. I had a Hitachi for 8 years with the same set up and never replaced a battery in it. I am not disagreeing with you but is there a reason why the 1 battery won't charge properly? It does appear with this setup that over time the 1 battery does not charge and then fails. Where can you purchase a 24V to 12V transformer? Thanks

  5. #5Jaybo2014-03-11 09:27

    A quick Google search yeilds thousands of results for the transformer :tong Here is Amazon.com results for example: 24v to 12v transformers

  6. #6kp1002014-03-11 10:19

    Ordered 1 this morning. Hopefully that is the key. Thanks

  7. #7grandkobelco2014-03-12 14:44

    DC volts always finds the easy rout to ground. So why go thru the work to charge a battery when it can sneek down your radio wire, play a little music, and find a ground elsware. I'll apologize for the kobelco dealer. Any local napa or equivalent should have these transformers. good luck wes. PS I belive you abought the hitachi but I see a lot of bat go dead with radio wires.

  8. #8kp1002014-03-12 15:00

    I have the transformer ordered. I believe you. It makes sense as to why I am having issues with batteries and its always the new battery that fails and it is the 1 that the radio wire is hooked to. It also may explain as to why last fall when it got cold the stepping motor was having problems locating the start position. I now think the batteries were putting out marginal voltage as the battery was not getting charged compounded by the cooler weather. I will have a better idea if this was the case when the weather here cools off again and now with a new battery see if that stepping motor works correctly. The day I installed the new battery it was just above freezing and the motor cycled and worked perfect. Thanks