Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, but had to make an account as there seems to be plenty of knowledgeable people onboard. I'm currently working on a 3D Koehring 1066 model and I'm trying to either come across some detailed photos of the machine or track one down in the Toronto or surrounding area. I have both the operators and parts manual, plus brochures for the machine. I've done every google search and come across every youtube video imaginable for this machine. The only places I know of that have or had Koehring machines are: International Marine Salvage in Port Colborne, Ontario (They had a 866 there back in 02) Algoma Steel in Sault St. Marie has what looks to be a 1266d. Pit-On construction based out of Orangeville, had a 1066d and 1266d back in 98'. Any leads on one in the area, or personal photos that are in a private gallery would be much appreciated. It seems many of the components on the 666 to the 1266 are similar, with the only difference being size. Below are some images of my project. Thank you for any help.
1066 Pretty good! Looks like a cross between the early 1968-72 {House & arm** and the "D'' series {The cab** A friend of mine bought a 1066 recently, I want to restore it & get some video on YT. Let me know what angles you want for pics & I can get these to you come spring.
Can I ask what the 3D model is for? I am a scale model collector and when I hear 3D model it makes me think scale model. There aren't many Koehring scale models out there.....and I am always hoping sooner or later one might pop up. If you don't wish to publicly state the nature of the 3D model please send me a PM. Your model looks fantastic!
Thank you guys! Koehringman, I realized I made a design error and checked by diagram and the door was from a "D" model, I changed it to the early 1066 models. I would much appreciate detail photos of the Koehring 1066, especially the gauges in the cab and fine details of hose connectors and what not. D5G, this is a portfolio project that I'm doing for my own good, and as a way to document these old machines. I chip away at it when time permits.
Hello Walsh I have one retired at work I could get you some pictures of. But I believe it's a Bantam 220 but it looks like the one in the picture. Side note * If anyone is interested may be parting it out.
AWESOME! Hey, getting closer! Remove the grab rails from the cab. The ends of the undercarriage where the wheels are have axle support extensions. Also she needs her KOEHRING decals. The sign guys told me Koehring used an European font. Too bad Tonka did not make a toy out of this. . I'll see what I can do about cab pics.
Thanks for the help gentlemen. fixou812 - If it is indeed a 1066, I would gladly appreciate any photos. If not, thank you for the offer but do save your time. Koehringman - Yeah I have a decal to use for the boom, as for the axle extensions, I have them built but I must have forgot to turn on that layer in the rendering. The grab rails will be removed. Thank you for your input! The pictures would be fundamental in certain details. The top of the car body is another area that needs a closer look. Neil
D5G - Sorry I missed your comment. I'm creating this for my portfolio and as a way to preserve and demonstrate these old pieces of equipment to those who are interested. I hope to make a virtual walk around. Here is a update now that I've started to apply textures and I reworked the boom, cylinders and cab.
koehring taken by a friend and shared to me couple years ago
Tool King, Interesting bottom photo... especially the over/under stick cylinders. Any background on the machines?
The bottom picture from the side would show way you need two cylinders .The stick is longer than you think .I have picture of it .I will see were they are and post it.
Amazing job! I actually got some Koehring pics today (886D and a 666D). I have pictures of an identical 1066 to your model as there is one 15min from my house. PM if you want more.
This little Bantam 450 wants to grow up to be just like it's big brothers. I found this on Craigslist last summer. It is located near Denton Tx.
Oops photo did not work. Lets try it again
Hello everyone, Thanks for the photos, I can assure you that any photos you find through the web, I have found . I've searched high and low and have the manuals and brochures of the machine. As for the "D" models, they're pretty similar, with a few improvements. The 1066 from around 1970 is what I'm going for on my latest rework. Here is the latest render with the boom and stick attached. I'm making it so every panel and door opens. I'm also going to model the Detroit Diesel at some point. The main details that concern me are behind the boom mounting pins, where the control valve and air valve systems are,the engine and cab details and a clear view of the boom plumbing from above. Here is the latest rendering. Texturing of the boom will commence soon.
Update* Texturing of the model using photos of a worn machine as a reference.
more pics have an equipment friend back east that takes great pics and shares them with me,these were taken years ago.
more contd.
Skadill, thank you very much for those pictures. I was able to finalize the turntable details. The major texturing has begain, still have too add more detail but here is what I have so far. I'm going for the well used and dirty machine.
I have a few pics of a Bantam C-366 taken through a chain link fence if you can use them.I have a lot of hours in it but I did not take any pics on the jobsites.Ron G
Thanks for those pics Ron, it is a different machine, but the weathering will be handy as a guide. I'm going for the old and worn, but still used look. That means the rust will be somewhat darker in colour and there will be dirt stuck to the grease, lightening up those areas.
Reference material collected over the years including operating and parts manuals and original magazine articles.