Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komastu 480-5l

Mausmus ยท 2016-05-29 19:53

I have a 480-5L. That when you press the accelerator it takes several seconds for the motor to come up to speed. Almost seems like an antiroid valve problem but I am not up to date on these new motors and have no idea if they have a valve like the old 855 cummins. Anyone have any experience with a similar problem Thx Mike

Replies3
  1. #1DK882016-05-29 21:35

    -5.. that will have an inline pump so first thing i would be checking is remove the supply line to the lift pump (hand primer) using the 19mm nut, when you look inside the threaded portion there will be a little screen that will screw out, check that and change the filters if you havent done so already..

  2. #2coalrulz2016-05-30 11:31

    Mausmus, According to the information I have the WA480-5L had a Komatsu 125E-3 engine that has a high pressure common rail fuel system. If you were to provide a serial number we could verify the fuel system. The lag could be caused by allot of factors, does the engine smoke excessively out the tail pipe when accelerating? Do you have any fault codes on the monitor?

  3. #3DK882016-06-01 21:05

    For some reason I thought they had a injection pump.. I have had a very similar issue with a 480-6 what you can do with the engine running unplug the front pumping element on the pump and it should stay running, shut it off plug in the front start the engine and then unplug the rear pumping element, if it dies when ethier the front or rear are unplugged then you know your hpcr pump is weak. There are other tests to do before replacing that but it's a good quick check, you could have a bad rail pressure sensor, bad rail limiter, injectors have too much leak off..