I am looking at a D65E-6 1977 model dozer. It developed a leak and won't steer. The leak is from under the belly pan.... The owner had manuals but they burned up in a house fire... Does anybody have a parts manual that could maybe post or send a couple of parts diagrams so I can see what is under the pan that may be leaking...Is it possibly a pickup hose that has worn out or a seal that needs replacing, or should I let it sit and look elsewhere..? He was working the dozer when the leak developed and the steering quit when the leak started... Rest of the dozer is in good shape for the age...engine starts easily, moves forward and back but no steering and the hydraulics works great. [email protected] Thanks in advance
Here is a picture of the Dozer I am considering
Could be any number of different things. A parts manual wont help you either, you need to get under there and have a look to see what it is that is actually leaking, THEN use the parts manual to see what it is. Obviously, the leak is preventing oil pressure to build up to release the steering clutch packs. In saying that, I thought I better confirm that you do actually have forward and reverse directional movement?
Chris. Thanks for the reply. First...the dozer does move forward and backward...as seen in the picture second..I was interested in finding some info as to what exists so I had some idea where to begin looking, that is why the parts request... I fnd that if I have an idea of what is there, I can better diagnose a problem... Thanks
sounds like it blew an oring or possibly a hose. i not sure but i think i have some old manuals at work for this model. i think i actually have a set of cutting edges also.
You should be able to get a good idea of the leak from pulling the floor plates and looking down. As I recall the steering pump is on the left rear of the engine and filter housing is on the operator's left side below the seat. A machine that age could have any number of leaks. Bleeding hoses and O rings are the usual problem but there could be many other sources for the leakage. Most of the hoses and seals can be reached from up top. However the pump suction and discharge hoses are a real pain. Good Luck!
John C I suspect that it is the suction hose... I could not see it from the top and one mechanic told me it had to be accessed from below..meaning..remove the belly pan... Thanks for the reponses... Superwrench...If you have manuals and want to sell, let me know.. Thanks
i will try to remember to check see what we have left let you know.
Well...I figured out what was the problem. When I dropped the belly pan, I found it was packed full of dirt. THis had caused the lines to rust and both of the pressure lines to and from the cooler had pin holes in them. It pumped the fluid out and reduced the pressure enough that it wold not steer. Temporarily fized the leaks, topped off the oil and it steers nicely. Now..I will tell you what I paid for this Dozer....$5000.00 THey actually wanted $7000 but when it would not steer, I started walking away and the estate representative decided to deal.... 3 pinholes equals $2000... Will have to replace the 4 lines but I doube that will be anywhere close to $2000. I haven't dropped the rear belly pan, but I am going to do that also and then steam clean the entire rig before replace the lines and do a complete fluid change. Thanks for all the suggestions....
sorry took so long only books i can find are for a -8
Thanks for looking Dozer Spit the shut off solenoid today... otherwise...working like it should...