Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu 960E

MetalDragon_boy ยท 2006-10-08 08:53

Hello! Does anyone know where I can find info about Komatsu's new dump truck? Seems like it is still in testing. Two pics, (C) is Tim Twichell: http://www.baumaschinenbilder.de/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8984 http://www.baumaschinenbilder.de/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8985

Replies60
  1. #1posthoorn2007-05-17 06:16

    930e Hello, you can find all the information on the komatsu website of komatsu australia.or click below http://www.komatsu.com.au/equipment/new/dumptruckr/Pages/930E-4specifications.aspx or you can read the next url: http://www.komatsuamerica.com/Views/Views_2004_No.2(E).pdf on page 13 there is a article about the 960E good luck ps:attached file is a dumptruck hd405-7

  2. #2alco2007-05-17 10:33

    The 960E is still in testing. We have one up here that hasn't run in months since they blew all of the wheel motors they had for it. I guess they are doing a redesign before they put more motors into it and just blow them up. Even as a prototype, it hasn't exactly been a sucess up here. Brian

  3. #3MetalDragon_boy2007-05-17 14:00

    Thanks for the link posthoorn! And alco yes it could work bad when it is still in testing. but I belive you may have the 930 truck up there to? How do they work?

  4. #4alco2007-05-17 16:31

    Yes, it is a poor performer that I am sure they will work on to improve with time. For example, the 960E we have here has the Siemens drive system on it and it has not stood up at all. Typically Komatsu runs GE drive systems, but went a different route with this truck. They built one prototype with a GE drive system and one with the Siemens system. The Siemens truck blew up 4 drive motors in about a month and a half...........this should show it has MAJOR flaws in the design. Our Liebherrs have the Siemens drive system as well and a lot of the trouble we have with them comes from the drive system. We have a good number of 930Es running around up here, and by most accounts they are a solid fairly reliable truck. For the most part, they are not a favorite of the operators or mechanics, but they do seem to run fairly well once they debug them. When they are first put to work, they seem to take a bit of time to get the glitches ironed out. Brian

  5. #5biggixxerjim2007-05-17 17:52

    Does Dozerboy 575 have in wizdom to share with us on this one?

  6. #6Dozerboy2007-05-17 21:20

    Hey I think your getting some names mixed up unless you want some of this:guns.

  7. #7Countryboy2007-05-17 21:21

    :laugh

  8. #816H2007-05-18 03:17

    I bet the 960 is a big truck, I have operated the 930s and didnt think much of them, I honestly think you cant go too far past the 793s for a good all round truck versatile reliable and user freindly

  9. #9alco2007-05-18 11:38

    I agree that the 793 is about as close to bulletproof as you can get. We have several here that are running every day with around a hundred thousand hours on the clock. I do have to say though, the 797 is proving to be a great truck as well. Not as good or as versatile as the 93, but still very good. I have to say honestly, the cab on the 797 is very nice to spend 12 hours in. I do prefer it to the 793 cab. The 960 really isn't much different than the 930 size wise. Brian

  10. #10MetalDragon_boy2007-05-18 13:23

    alco does you work for Syncrude? I have always wondered how many trucks the mines up at McMurray have?

  11. #11alco2007-05-18 15:56

    Yes, I work for Syncrude. As for numbers of trucks, without looking ata list, I could not give you specifics, but we have over 90 at Syncrude alone. If you count the rest of the sites, I have no honest numbers, but it would all depend on what size of trucks you are going to count. If you went all the way down to 35 tonners, and all the way up to 400 tonners, you would probably be in the 500 to 600 range. With all the operations and contractors, it's hard to keep count. Brian

  12. #12MetalDragon_boy2007-05-18 19:18

    Sorry I should have been more specific in my question. What I meant was that how many of the large mining trucks does Syncrude use alone.

  13. #13alco2007-05-18 19:49

    Syncrude itself runs a fleet of 25 T282B Liebherrs, about 12 793B and C trucks (I'd have to look at a list to see exactly how many we have right now), about 40 797 and 797Bs (once again, I'd have to look at a list), and 12 930E trucks. So the total is around 90 trucks. When I go back to work I will look at the current list for the two mines and see what the exact numbers are. Keep in mind that there are two other operating companies here as well as many, many contractors that are running big trucks. So the totals are much higher for the numbers of large trucks up here. Brian

  14. #14alco2007-05-18 19:52

    Here's a picture of the 960E under assembly.

  15. #15MetalDragon_boy2007-05-19 05:40

    Wow that is alot of trucks! How many are the shovels that load them? Should be afew to. Thanks for the pic, I like the Komatsu trucks I think they look really nice!

  16. #16alco2007-05-21 00:17

    Syncrude has a fleet of 1 RH200, 3-RH400, 1 RH120, 4 4100TS, 7 4100BOSS, and 3 495HF shovels. Brian

  17. #17MetalDragon_boy2007-05-21 13:12

    wow that is afew steel mountain! :notworthy Would be fun to visit Syncrude someday. I have seen a TV programme about Syncrude. Really cool!

  18. #18alco2007-05-22 22:18

    I actually remembered to look up our truck fleet today. We currently have 11 793s, 12 930Es, 48 797s, and 23 T282Bs for a total of 94 trucks. Brian

  19. #19MetalDragon_boy2007-05-23 17:43

    wow that is alot of truck! Then I belive there is several smaller machines in the mine to? Dozers and graders to?

  20. #20Dieseldork2007-06-09 16:57

    Komatsu 960E haul truck Hello there metal dragon boy. its your lucky day if you are still looking for information aout the komatsu 960E haul truck. i happen to be working in fort mcmurray alberta and was involved in the building of the 960E-2 seimens drive haul truck. i would be happy to answer any questions you may have about it if you like.

  21. #21MetalDragon_boy2007-06-09 16:59

    Hi! Yes Im still very interested! I would like to know what payload class it has?

  22. #22Dieseldork2007-06-09 23:36

    960e it is being tested at 360 tons, but rumor has it it should be classed as a 400 ton but they cant find tires. but right now it is sitting up on blocks, no engine or wheel motors

  23. #23MetalDragon_boy2007-06-10 07:20

    Interesting! Would be very nice if they found the tires. Liebherr get them from somewhere so maybe they could take them from the same place? What type of engine is going to move this baby? same as for the 930?

  24. #24Dieseldork2007-06-10 13:34

    960e the 930 is using the qsk60 cummins the 960 is using the qsk78. the engine has 12 bloody turbos on top of it

  25. #25MetalDragon_boy2007-06-10 13:48

    Didnt Komatsu have the QSK78 in the 930 to? I made a paper on some of the Komatsu equipment for school and in the brocheur of the 930 it said it was avaible with the QSK78. They may have changed it now.

  26. #26Dieseldork2007-06-10 13:56

    960e the 930SE model is the one available with the qsk 78.

  27. #27MetalDragon_boy2007-06-10 16:48

    aha I see! now I follow! Has the 960 been in work for long before it got dismanteled agian? Is it about to be shipped back or is it just waiting for repairs?

  28. #28Dieseldork2007-06-10 20:46

    960e no its been sitting in our yard since september with no wheel motors, 2 failed within 50 hours of eachother. so there redesigning them before they send them back. then this spring the 960 that is working down south in arizona, the 960E-1 blew the engine so the only one they could find was the one out of the dash 2 we built. i dont think it worked more that a thousand hours before the wheel motors failed

  29. #29Countryboy2007-06-10 22:12

    Welcome to HEF Dieseldork! :drinkup

  30. #30LuNaTIcFrEAk2007-06-26 15:44

    Dieseldork, is the Siemens drive the same as the one used in the T282B?

  31. #31Countryboy2007-06-26 18:00

    Welcome to HEF LuNaTIcFrEAk! :drinkup

  32. #32TruckWatcher2008-04-27 19:23

    Does anyone have further information on the Komatsu 960E. The Last post was from June 2007. Is it up and running?

  33. #33OilPatch2008-05-04 20:51

    It runs..... but barely!

  34. #34alco2008-05-05 01:46

    I'd be interested in hearing what is wrong with it. I was talking to one of the guys who have been running it, and he said it's doing pretty good since they got it back up a little while ago. Brian

  35. #35OilPatch2008-05-15 00:11

    Well... Being a prototype, Komatsu won't allow our mechanics to work on it and Transwest has to come out on a service call on night shifts because they are not on site. If the thing gets any error codes, which it does quite a bit, we have to park it and call Transwest(the Komatsu Dealer). Error codes can range from overloads(430t) to ground faults and brake stroke errors... all of which are easy resets, but neither our mechanics or us can are allowed to reset them. As for the truck opperationally, the box is wider than the rear wheel width which makes the thing quite a ride in a soft pit or a mud dump and feels dangerously tippy.... Imagine the box vs. wheels on a 97 but instead of the wheels being wider than the box it's the other way 'round on the 960. It essentially has the exact suspension as a 930 I'm told, but it has a heavier oil, maybe? correct me if I'm wrong there There are more issues I can get into too, but I'll skip it for now. The bottom line though is that this could possibly be a decent coal or hard rock truck, but it should stay out of the oilsands.

  36. #36alco2008-05-15 02:06

    Thanks for the reply. I know Randy did mention the ride was like a 930E but exaggerated. He mentioned there had been....ummm....trouble with the engine....yeah, that's how I'll describe it.........since they put it back to work after the wheel motor issues and sitting for all that time. He didn't say anything about the error codes, or that only Transwest could touch it. I guess that makes sense being a prototype and all. It's amazing how they don't have a service crew working in the shop to call out if they want to keep anybody's business. I know we aren't buying anything but Cat trucks from what our management has said, and you guys are getting the big batch of 797s coming up. Have you heard anything about the Terex MT6300AC prototype working up at Aurora? Brian

  37. #37OilPatch2008-05-15 02:46

    Not yet.... But I do know that Base Mine and Aurora fought over who had to take it, haha Aurora has nothing but Cat trucks now since they sent all the electrics down the highway, and they didn't want another electric showing up because they basically had to cable an 11 onto the 282's to get em out of the pit and on to the dumps. Base mine didn't wan't it because they had to give the 97's to Aurora and take their electrics (there are only 2 97's left at base mine now) and they didn't want any more headaches. Someone at Terex should have taken notice of this and went back to the drawing board to add a driveshaft. These companys test everything here because it's the harshest environment that these ultra class trucks face.... but it's just no place for an electic truck. Albian and Aurora run 97's and nothing else for a reason

  38. #38alco2008-05-15 04:30

    Hahahaha, actually, there was no fight over who was going to get it. It was destined to go to Aurora since Terex wanted to test it in the softer conditions. The reason the T282Bs came back to Base was more along the lines of not having to duplicate all of the tooling to repair them. Not much sense having to buy twice as much gear and train twice as many mechanics to fix them. Since we already had all the tools and trained guys, it made more sense to send them back down to us. That plus Aurora only wants 797s anyhow, and they are the spoiled child of the company. It wasn't so much of an issue to keep them moving on the dumps as keeping them moving in general (since they break down steady). They are shop queens, no two ways about it. I'm amazed the management has actually wised up and said there will be no more Liebherrs at all. I know they are somewhat unhappy about the availability figures. We were guaranteed somewhere around 20 to 25% higher availability than we are currently getting. I know we are supposed to be getting 12 more 797Bs later this year and into next. There are 8 more going to Aurora, but talk of more yet to come. We kept the two 797s so we had trucks for packing on structures without having to hire in North African. I've heard rumours we will be getting rid of the T282Bs, but I think it's more likely we will keep towing them to the shop....errrrr......I mean running them. Brian

  39. #39OilPatch2008-05-15 04:38

    I'm glad you cleared that up... I only get to hear it from opperations side, and that story made sense to me. The tooling and spoiled child do make more sense though But, man, this 960 is something else... I mean it when I say the truck goes down for hours waiting for transwest when it gets an overload And I still stand by my call for a ban on electric drive trucks up here! By the way, we have a prototype 797F on our side of the highway now too

  40. #40alco2008-05-15 04:46

    Excellent, I'm with you on the ban on electrics! Our 930Es have become pretty reliable, but you have to keep them on tarsand runs or the block up the dumps something fierce until you get them unstuck...lol. I've seen pics of the 797F at Albian, but didn't know you folks had one as well. I know Albian has the F and a B with the V20 in it. How is yours doing? I heard they are a real rocket, tons of power. But haven't got much feedback other than that. What do you think about the new look of the frontend? Personaly, I kind of like it. The 795 looks very similar, should be intersting to see how that one works out. My guess is that someone up here will see one fairly soon, but who knows when. Brian

  41. #41OilPatch2008-05-15 05:00

    well, finning told me it was an F model but it does have B stickers... It has the new cab and frontend as well as the 20 cyl powerplant! It pulls like a train and flys like a plane! The thing is awesome to run but has the same issues with waiting for Finning when there are problems. I'll try to sneek some interior pics when I go back, but I think the coolest thing is that the sterring wheel Is set up like a grader and the gauges are off to the side, awesome visabillity. I don't mind turning some laps in it, but it usually goes down and I wind upn on something else... this 5 years before I get back to a shovel is starting to get to me. I don't know if you guys have the new model 930's yet, but they get overloads at 380 and won't pull faster than 12kph.... and the scales are very optimistic I've seen overloads with only 2 buckets on

  42. #42alco2008-05-15 05:50

    Hahaha, Yeah, it's an F model if it has the new front end and cab. I don't know why they bother with the B stickers....or rather peel offs, I'm sure you know what I mean. I guess they are trying to disguise it, so nobody knows...lol. I'd love to give one a go, but I heard our new ones will be B models. Funny, they seem to have a bit of a bitter taste in their mouths over the issues they had when they got the first 797 prototypes up here, but thankfully they seem to have worked out most of the bugs....it just took some time. I'd love to see some shots of the interior, haven't had the chance yet. I've only seen the couple shots from ground level in the lower right front. I'm not sure what you mean about the steering wheel being like a grader though, does it move like a graders column moves? That definitely has my interest peaked. Do you mean that the front of the cab is set up like a 777F cab by chance? Windows to the floor? Enlighten me if you don't mind please. As for 930Es, we only have the original versions from way back when. The way I see it, they must be due for replacement soon, but who knows with these guys. I'm not sure we will be getting any new ones, when these go down. Ours all alarm at 384, but it's just an alarm, doesn't restrict at all. Although you aren't allowed to run with it, the truck will. I hear you about the optimistic scales, we have a few drama queens that will scream overload at the drop of the hat....then again, we have a few that won't say a thing no matter what you do to them.....go figure. Brian

  43. #43mntman5522008-05-15 06:03

    I said earlier that we were supposed to get 4 T282B's down here where I work but I heard the other day that that number is supposed to be 37. Maybe CAT will have a sale on paint, and I'm glad im in the dozer push now.

  44. #44alco2008-05-15 12:41

    Man, I am so sorry for your luck. Those trucks are terrible to have around. They are always broke in the worst spots.....such as, plugging the entrance tot he dump, middle of the narrowest spot of the haulroad, etc. Really slow down production. We're getting somewhere around 70% out of the fleet, but sometimes it's much worse. We have 30 of them, and a couple weeks ago, 15were down at once. It's usually small stuff, but big enough to shut the truck down and lots of it. I'm doubtful it will affect Cat in a negative way, it may help them out after all is said and done by giving them someone to point at and say......"and that's why you don't buy Liebherr trucks." At least it won't drive up the wait times for Cat trucks for everyone else...lol. Brian

  45. #45Gavin84w2008-05-17 05:04

    Steering like a grader could be an issue oil patch if it is like an M series in the cab!!!!!! Brian we have a name down here for machines that spend a lot of time in the shops, we call them "moths" I have seen the big F series trucks and the new sheet metal looks good, and also the cab, they have another winner on the way. 785 and up F models have the operator sitting on the left unlike the 777F where you sit in the old buddy seat pos to drive it.Gauge cluster is off to the right in the big girls which allows the front window to extend down a bit farther and clear out the newspaper parking lot giving better vision. Mt Arthur in the hunter vallet where 20+ T282,s sometime work have just placed an order for 10 797, so Leibherr reliability extends down here too!!

  46. #46OilPatch2008-05-22 17:45

    I guess I wasn't that clear on the last posts... yeah, the column tilts towards you like a grader with the window in front going almost down towards the floor. As for being like the cab on the Triple, I wouldn't be able to say, never seen the inside of one... No pics yet either, the lens on my phone is all spidered

  47. #47alco2008-05-23 01:46

    Gavin, Thanks for the heads up on the cab layout, I haven't had the opportunity to run a 777F yet, so I'm not sure how I feel about the seat placement. That being said, I really do like the window shape...I just wish they opened properly. I have heard they are some difficult to hear the horn on the hoe or shovel if it's on the blind side. The only pictures I have sen so far on the larger trucks were pretty tough to pick out specifics on, but they sure look promising. I really like the sheet metal they have wrapped around them. I guess the good old Liebherrs aren't an isolated deal for reliability as poor as we see then. We were doing pretty good last night though with only 7 of the 30 down. That's almost unheard of. OilPatch, Ahhhh, OK, gotcha! That's going to be interesting to see. No worries on the pictures, when you manage to get some, post away. Brian

  48. #48thorleif2008-05-23 11:26

    What a great thread hearing about the ins and outs of these big mining beasts and man oh man what I'd give to see some pics of the new 797F!. I wonder if there'll be a model version commissioned?. Please Mr OilPatch...:notworthy Thorleif

  49. #49cat 3852008-11-14 18:39

    i've been working where the 960e's pull into fuel at kennecott bingham mine,they are huge ,i thought the 793's were big till i saw one of these pull up next to one.

  50. #50Chris55002009-10-24 06:43

    The 930E-4SE has the Cummins QSK78, which Komatsu call the SSDA18V170, rated at 3,500 HP. The 930E-4 has the Cummins QSK60, which Komatsu call the SSDA16V160, rated at 2,700 HP. The 960E-1 has the Cummins QSK78, which Komatsu call the SSDA18V170, rated at 3,500 HP. I'd like to note to, that the 960 has 6000 HP of braking, make sure you wear your seat belt kids! Also, Hail Creek mine in QLD, Australia is about to take delivery of 20 960's (Dont quote me on the figure) and Ravensworth mine in the Hunter Valley, NSW, Australia has tendered for a fleet of them.

  51. #51miningtrucks2009-10-24 21:36

    hey chris5500 isn't that a 960E or 930E being loaded up in your profile pic

  52. #52Chris55002009-10-24 21:45

    It is indeed a 930E-AT

  53. #53alco2009-10-25 03:41

    For the sake of the mines looking at fleets of them, I sure hope they have better luck with those ones than they have had with the one they were testing out up here.

  54. #54Chris55002009-10-25 05:28

    It's to be expected when testing and commisioning a new machine, I was talking to a bloke who is involved with the 1st lot that went to Chile, he had nothing but good comments to say about them :thumbsup

  55. #55Chris55002009-11-28 20:23

    Couple of pics of the 1st 960E-1 (1 of 10) that has been delivered to Rio Tinto's Hail Creek coal mine in QLD, Australia.

  56. #56alco2009-11-29 00:36

    I agree it's to be expected that there will be issues, but the one up here was beyond belief. It sat on blocks for over a year, and there is far more to the story that I just can't go into detail about.

  57. #57golfy2009-12-25 19:12

    Hey all.. i work at Hail Creek, Australia. I run diggers, dozers and trucks. I sat in a 960e when it had only 10 hours on it while we were on crib. Haven't been able to drive one yet. Very nice cabs indeed. We have six in total now aswell as a brand new RH340B shovel.

  58. #58Jojo Le Grand2010-01-15 15:12

    More picture of this awesome dump-truck :

  59. #59CATBEATER2010-01-18 10:24

    960E for Hail Creek are GE drive system and the prototype/ oil sand test truck has Siemens drive. First production 960E Siemens will be in the great white north soon, eh. Cheers to you golfy and Chris5500 :drinkup

  60. #60vit3322011-02-13 07:54

    Hello! Free Komatsu parts books are available on www.komatsupartsbook.com