Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D20 lever steering adjustment?

machineman ยท 2007-07-23 22:35

Recently its very difficult to get my D20P-7 to turn right. I have to pull very hard and it barely stalls the right track. The left lever works fine. So I took the service cover off and adjusted the lever linkage to have less play. And then the left steer lever had issues! So I put it back. Any ideas, my operators manual doesn't have any steering lever adjustment info. Or is this a brake adjustment problem? Thanks

Replies9
  1. #1John C.2007-07-24 00:10

    I believe it is a brake adjustment that needs to be done. If you take the cover off at the back of the machine just above the main case you should see a round cover on each corner. I think they have two bolts in them but they might have three. Take the cover off and you should see what looks like a bolt head. Turning that clockwise will adjust the brake up. I usually turned them three or four flats and then got back in the cab and checked the lever travel. I would adjust till both levers were the same. As I recall most of the covers had a gasket that got pretty well chewed up when removing the cap. I used to carry some plastic material or heavy Garlock gasket paper to make a new one from. Many people just siliconed them back up but it makes a mess the next time you have to adjust.

  2. #2EUCLIDES2007-07-30 12:29

    Komatsu 155ax Does Not Steer Hi. I have a KOMATSU 155AX with steering problems. Somebody tested in this machine a controller from another equipment and, after that, the tractor does not steer. Could somebody give me any idea about this issue? Regards. Euclides

  3. #3Countryboy2007-07-30 17:18

    Welcome to HEF EUCLIDES! :drinkup

  4. #4Wulf2007-07-30 22:16

    Euclides, on some of the newer machines from -5 and up the controllers have to be initialised if they are changed out. There is a procedure in the testing and adjusting section of the shop manual that should be followed step-by step.... this is assuming that the controller is exactly the same part number as the one originally installed and its all plugged in properly Sometimes if the machines batteries become fully discharged the existing controller may require re-initialisation so that it is matched to the dozer.

  5. #5EUCLIDES2007-08-01 08:41

    Komatsu 155ax Thanks Wulf. I was working yesterday at this machine and I found that the original problem was dirt connectors (diode) in the line of the EPC VALVE. Now, the dozer steers fine in neutral but not in foward neither in reverse. In addition, the transmission is too slow. I plan to go to the field today and finish the work, but for now, I'm reading the book. Thanks. Euclides.

  6. #6EUCLIDES2007-08-01 08:45

    Posting a new thread. Thanks, CountryBoy. For now, I can't post a new thread because my account type. What could I do? Regards.

  7. #7Countryboy2007-08-01 17:18

    You need to have made atleast 5 posts to start a new thread. You already have made 3, so you just need 2 more. :thumbsup

  8. #8EUCLIDES2007-08-03 09:29

    Komatsu 155ax Wulf. I was working on the KOMATSU 155AX yesterday. The problem is in the HMT (transmission) speed sensor. As the HMT does not detect the transmission speed, it doesn't shift. Euclides.

  9. #9Wulf2007-08-04 08:01

    Hey Euclides, so you are working on an older unit - D155AX-3. That's a great transmission system but it is very complex. That sensor can give trouble described and it sounds like you are on the right track with what it does... it senses the speed and direction of the HMT motor and the HMT controller relies on knowing that to shift correctly.