Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D20P-6 vs. John Deere 450 (not B or C)

poleclimber15 ยท 2013-04-03 00:54

Hey guys. I'm new the the Heavy Equipment forums and just curious to what y'alls opinions are. I am buying a dozer to use around my land. I know the capabilites of both dozers and have been operating my whole life. However, I have never used the old straight JD 450 or the Komatsu D20P-6. I have used newer 450's and Komatsu D31's and up to D65 komatsus, D9 Cat's, and JD 850's. The JD 450 had the motor rebuilt 500 hrs. ago. It has a new undercarriage & tracks. The hydraulic cylinders have been repacked and it doesn't use any oil. It has a 6-way blade and a winch. Dry clutches. It runs really good. The price is $7,000. It will cost me around $1,200 to have it shipped to my farm. The Komastu D20P-6 has new cutting edges, new clutch packs, new brake Bands, under carrage is about 85%. The owner stats that it runs all day on 10 gal diesel, uses no oil. numerous new parts installed and well maintained, painted and new decals last year. does have a couple very minor hyd. leaks. The price is $8,900. I haven't been able to run this machine yet. The differences are: 450 - 57 hp/ D20 -40 hp, 450 - 15,500 to 16,000 lbs./ D20 - 8,465 lbs., 450 - grouser pads/ D20 - pyramid pads, 450 - I have to have hauled to the farm and get and in the future get trailer if I want to haul it anywhere./ D20 - I have a trailer I can haul it on and it is only 120 miles from my farm. I'm having a hard time deciding, because both would be good dozers. I am just wanting any and everyone to give me y'alls opinions and advice. The pic of the D20 is the one I am considering. The 450 looks like the one I'm looking at, but it isn't the one in the picture. Thanks! Michael

Replies2
  1. #1shopguy2013-04-03 01:32

    Welcome tothe forum ,please forgive me but what in the world would a 8000 #dozer with smooth pads be good for, even tho I am not a deere fan sounds like the better pick to me .

  2. #2poleclimber152013-04-04 01:05

    I understand what you are saying. Pyramid pads do have a place, just not in everyday work. The one good thing is that they sell grousers everyday.... Thanks for welcoming me to the forum.