Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D21 P6 wont steer

poky1234 ยท 2018-07-15 09:21

Hello , I just bought a Komatsu D21 P6 dozer. It doesn't steer very well. I opened up the covers over the brake adjusters and the left one was seized . I have heard that you can fill the dry clutch and brake housings with diesel fuel and let them soak a few days. This apparently may free them up. Anyone had experience with this? Thanks, Doug

Replies3
  1. #1tantoy2018-07-15 19:36

    Did you try driving up to a solid object (stump) and pulling individual steering levers to see if you can brake the clutches free? I don't know if you would ruin the clutch and break linings after you were done soaking them. I guess if the clutches had to come out, wouldn't hurt to try it. Try heating the stuck brake band adjusting nut red hot to see if you can break it loose. Did you read thru the some 117 pages for the d20/21s yet ? Thats how I learned to replace mine.

  2. #2poky12342018-07-16 07:05

    thanks for the reply. I worked the machine for a while yesterday. The steering clutches started working. If I pull both back part way the dozer comes to a stop. If I pull only one part way the dozer slowly starts to turn. If I pull the levers back all the way, individually, the dozer does not turn sharply so I guess the brake is not engaging. When I step on the brake petal it does not stop dozer. I will try your suggestion to free up brake adjuster and will look at the posts on the D20/21 DOZERS. I didn't see them when I first joined the forum. If I have to replace the brake bands would it make sense to replace steering clutches at the same time?

  3. #3tantoy2018-07-17 09:59

    Yeah your brake bands are not grabbing it sounds like. The foot brake engages the same bands so petal wont do anything more than the steering levers. Try adjusting the brake band and using the dozer for and hour to see if it gets better. And you are correct, if your are doing clutches you will have to remove brake bans also , so makes sense to replace both.