Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D21 Steering clutches

eidolon ยท 2016-06-08 18:51

Komatsu D21A-6. I think my steering clutches are going. Left one is very weak, right one tends to lose a little traction power when she warms up. everything else works fine - including reverser/ torque converter. Local Komatsu dealer tells me both steering clutch replacement is "fairly complex" and will cost $5 - 6K. Does this seem reasonable, or am I being scammed? I have the manuals to do it myself, but they are pretty useless. Appreciate any advice/ insights.

Replies1
  1. #1lantraxco2016-06-08 19:15

    As I recall it can be done without removing the tracks, and it's not beyond the average fella's wrench turning skills. I don't have the links but there used to be a couple places on the web where you could order in the frictions and steels at what seemed reasonable prices. If you go in, replace them all, it's cheap insurance. Should be some D21 owners chiming in and there should be a couple threads about just this subject on here.