Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D30SM-17 steering help

Phillip Simmons · 2020-04-08 09:27

I have "inherited" a Grey market Komatsu Trackloader that was left setting in a field (about nine years after my father passed) with the track off one side, leaky hydraulics, and other unknown problems. It started easily and ran perfect and it was "free", so I felt like I wouldput a little money into it so I could use it around my farm. To date I have done the following: Rebuilt the undercarriage replacing track chains, sprockets, rollers, track springs, adjuster grease valves, rebuild the two tilt cylinders, adjusted the clutch band brake and welded up track rails with hard face rod and reground so the idler roller slides worked properly. I am pretty mechanically inclined but just need advice/information. I have been using the machine now for about two years and put about 150 hours on it. It is a direct drive machine (has a clutch) with 4 forward gears and 2 reverse gears and it is a stick steer machine. I am starting to have issues with turning brakes and have no idea how to adjust them. I can pull the sticks and is will come to a stop so I am sure the steering clutches are disengaging on both sides and I don't think that is an issue. When I first started using the machine I could pull sticks and it would lock tracks either side and it still will but I really have to pull the sticks HARD. Can someone here tell me how to adjust the steering brakes on this machine? I am told it is a grey market tractor that there are no parts available for. If you have pis of adjustment that would be appreciated as well. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Replies7
  1. #1JimInOz2020-04-09 04:58

    Try John at steeringclutch.com for clutch & brake parts. His website has a lot of information & pictures. The D30 was a gear-drive machine & the D31 was the powershift version of the same tractor. Try eBay or Tradebit for manuals,which are a good investment. Here's a couple of pictures of a D31S-16 Steering assembly.

  2. #2Phillip Simmons2020-04-09 09:20

    Thanks for the reply JimInOz! I will check them out. So are the 31 and the 30 machines both use the same type clutch/brake system? Also is the steering based on a band brake? if so does it disengage a steering clutch prior to the brake being applied?

  3. #3JimInOz2020-04-09 18:56

    I assume the D30 steering is the same as the D31 . Dry type,multi plate steering,with a wrap around brake . I thought the series 15 were the last to use lever steering. The 16s had pedals.Has your machine got a 4 cyl or 6 cyl engine.? The 17s were the first 6 cylinder machines in that range.They had a more modern appearance- tidier tanks & hood & nicer loader boom. The 16s & previous units were 4 cylinder. Check out Rock & Dirt & Machinery Trader websites,to see if anyone is dismantling any D30/31.

  4. #4Phillip Simmons2020-04-10 13:03

    This is a Model D30SM-17 Serial number 33115, non turbo 4 cyl machine. I called it a "stick steer" machine but the "sticks" come out of the dash. they go to the back of the machine to a hydraulic valve if that gives any better info. The valve have lines that go into the transmission, but not sure exactly where. I will try to get pics of the machine today and apply them here for better clarification.

  5. #5Phillip Simmons2020-04-10 13:12
  6. #6JimInOz2020-04-10 19:18

    Phillip, I'll PM you...

  7. #7Phillip Simmons2020-04-11 08:54

    Jim, Thanks for the PM and I Really appreciate your help. I found some information on a 31S that was really helpful, turns out my steering adjust just like the 31 s even though I have a gear drive machine. The brakes adjust on mine through two caps (one left one right) on the very back under the seat. I will take some picks of them and the machine and post them to the thread in case some one else runs across this. There is also a thread on the 31 s-17 i was reading on the forum here that described the adjustment process which I completed yesterday and it worked like a charm. Mine does have wet steering brakes I assume since there was oil in the area of the adjusters. Here is a site with pics of 31s-17 parts breakdown, I was able to obtain enough info from the free part to see how it was assembled and understand how the adjustment was made. http://777parts.net/komatsu/D31S-17/s107068.html