Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D31 P 16 track issue

Mikecarroll ยท 2012-09-28 23:17

I have an issue with the right track. When I turn to the left moving forward the bottom rollers drop inside the the chain. It corrects itself if I back up, but something is definitely wrong. Just bought the machine and have replaced the tensioing spring (broken), the cylinder and yoke (all frozen up on the right side). Any ideas on what to look for would be appreciated

Replies10
  1. #1g_man2012-09-29 07:52

    Not sure if I understand what you are saying. Are your rollers shot - bearing all floppy?? Lift front of machine with blade so track drops away from the rollers a little. The rollers should turn hard but free. Get are bar in there and pry up/down and side to side on rollers. There should be little or no movement. Sounds like you might have some blown bearings but I don't know what you mean by "rollers drop inside chain".

  2. #2Mikecarroll2012-09-30 13:01

    Thanks gman. Checked the rollers and all seem to turn free. Did not notice slop front to back or side. To side. I have a photo of the track with the rollers outside shoulder on the inside of the chain. Not sure how to include in this thread, though.

  3. #3g_man2012-09-30 17:18

    So your track bends like a snake sideways ??? A picture is worth a thousand words. First get your picture file 640X640 pixels max. Mine is 640X480 at 248 kbits as an example. Hit reply to thread. Fill in text as normal. Go down and hit Manage Attachments. A box comes up. Hit Add Files (top Rt of box) another little box comes up. Hit Select Files. Find and highlite your picture file. Hit Open. Little box returns with your picture in the list. Hit UpLoad Files. First box come back with your file at bottom. Hit done. You are now back to the reply screen. Add or chage text as desired. Hit Submit Reply.

  4. #4mitch5042012-09-30 18:18

    If your track bends sideways, you have terribly worn pins and bushings in your tracks. I have been running a Cat 215c this way for years. Another thing that can cause or exacerbate this problem is if your takeup idler yoke moves in the frame.

  5. #5Mikecarroll2012-09-30 22:22

    Thanks. I do not see the manage attachments, but I am using my iPad I will send photos tomorrow afternoon from my PC.

  6. #6g_man2012-10-01 06:56

    OOPS - I forgot to tell you that if Manage Attachments is not there then you have to push Go Advanced first. Sorry.

  7. #7g_man2012-10-01 09:01

    Another thought and just thinking ahead but you might want to go here http://www.crawlerheaven.com/ Go to the section on Wear Limit Guides (Lower Middle), Pins & Bushings and Track Links Find your d31 and see what shape your chains are in.

  8. #8Mikecarroll2012-10-03 23:47

    Sorry for the delay. Cannot seem to upload the photos from my IPAD, but did find out a problem. The front of the right rail is bent outward. The inside of the right rail is bent a bit more than what is evident on the outside. Once I was able to get the tractor up and engage the track, the chain wants to run on the edge of the bottom rollers because the front idler is mis - aligned. Looking to see if shims will fix the idler or if the rail will need to be bent back a bit.

  9. #9g_man2012-10-04 07:47

    Thanks for getting back. Glad you found the problem. It sounds like it might be a tough one to me. It is beyond my experience level so hopefully someone more knowledgable will have an opinion or helpful comment.

  10. #10malcolm22013-04-30 23:45

    Mike I have d31a. I was working ditch sideslope and left track shifted inward causing loud clicking on rear sprocket. Visually track seemed to have correct tension, no sag in top portion of track. Upon inspection found that track adjuster spring was broke, no shims on track rail where front idler slides, and possible stuck adjuster cylinder. 1. You said you replaced tensioner spring. What were the steps you went through? 2. How did you determine that track frame rail was bent? Visual? Measuring?