Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D31-PL18 problems

Pigeon · 2024-09-06 03:53

Gday from Australia. I have a 1990 Komatsu D31-PL18 dozer and am having problems with the oil level in my steering clutches. Somehow the oil is transferring from the clutches to the transmission. I can have all the oil levels spot on and after working the machine about 5-6 hrs all the oil has drained from the clutches and gone up the exact amount on the trans dipstick. I am scratching my head as to what the problem could be? Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers

Replies5
  1. #1Cliffy2024-09-06 07:45

    Hi. From what I understand, the bevel gear is lubricated by the transmission oil and the steering clutchs are a seperate oil. im guessing its a bearing and/or seal failure in your bevel gear. I would drain the oils and filters and look for shiny bits in the filters then go visit the bank manager.

  2. #2Pigeon2024-09-06 18:08

    Hi Cliffy thanks for the reply. On my particular model there is 3 seperate compartments/dipsticks for the clutches, trans and bevel gear. I’ve heard of scenarios where a seal fails and allows trans oil into dry clutches on certain dozers but can’t figure out what would be happening on mine. I recently just did a 2000hr service on machine and there wasn’t any metal in any of the filters or trans strainer. I figured if I just kept adding oil at some point surely the levels might equalise between the clutch and trans but doesn’t seem to be the case

  3. #3epirbalex2024-09-07 16:33

    It sounds like the carrier bearings are lose . Shown as part number 7 , seals are number 8 . You may not be able to access this site in Aus , setting a VPN for NZ will do it BEVEL GEAR AND SHAFT (FOR TRIMMING DOZER) D31P-18 S/N 40001-UP [d31p-18r] Komatsu 113-21-32110 Part catalog k-part.777parts.org I had a similar issue with a D47U , loss of steering on one side caused by a drifting crown wheel . I caught it early and was advised I could use the bearings again after stripping them out . Yours will need stripping down to replace the seals so doing the bearings won't be an issue . The part number 11 is what you use to set the bearings and the backlash for the crownwheel and pinion .

  4. #4Pigeon2024-09-07 19:12

    Hi mate thanks for the reply. How big of a job is it to do? I’m guessing you need to remove the final drives to be able to pull the bevel gear assembly out?

  5. #5epirbalex2024-09-07 20:02

    I don't think you have to take out the finales , its not a small job . There will be settings for the bearings and the backlash on the crown wheel and pinion you will need . Its best you acquire a workshop manual for the model number range for your dozer , I had a stab at the model number of 40001 up . Even so sometimes parts books show more how something is assembled .