Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu d31 removal of pinion shaft

Horse-trader01 ยท 2021-03-07 11:10

While working on rebuilding the steering clutches on my old Komatsu D31 I noticed that the pinion shaft on the right side has an excessive amount of play ( I can wiggle the flange that bolts to the steering clutch pack ). Looking for instructions on how to remove the pinion shaft and possible parts that need to be replaced. I have a digital copy of the Komatsu service manual but the write up and pictures aren't much help. Thanks

Replies10
  1. #1John C.2021-03-08 10:55

    I seem to recall that flange is a press on to the shaft and requires a pancake press and tooling to remove and install. If it is loose, it is likely the shaft and flange are worn and will need to be replaced.

  2. #2JimInOz2021-03-09 04:56

    Here's a few pictures of my D31S-16 . I was lucky enough to have access to a 100T press & a slim 30 ton unit,which was good in the steering housing.Sorry about the picture issues...having trouble deleting a few. View attachment 235450 View attachment 235450 View attachment 235451 View attachment 235450 View attachment 235451 [ATTACH

  3. #3JimInOz2021-03-09 05:12

    Here's a picture of a slim ram in a D6,possibly from TC Tractors,UK .

  4. #4Horse-trader012021-03-09 21:09

    Thanks to all that responded to my posting. I decided to just remove what I could to get to the failed part. No special tools were required. The flange and bearing carrier had threaded holes that can be used to push the parts off using two bolts. I found a partially broken bearing race and a badly damaged bear. See the pictures.

  5. #5JD955SC2021-03-09 21:12

    well that looks like a ball of fun

  6. #6Horse-trader012021-03-09 21:21

    The job wasn't really that hard since I already had the steering clutch out already. There is a big nut (2 and 3/4 inch socket required) that I didn't have the correct tool for so I just hit the flats on the nut with a big drift pin and it came free right away.

  7. #7tctractors2021-03-10 15:20

    On the Komatsu small Tractors you need very narrow cylinders to press the drum flange onto the pinion and a stumpy little 20 ton cylinder to press the flange off, the hollow cylinder I use for them is an odd thing with a hole in the center of possibly 75 mm that fits over the adapter that screws onto the pinion, the cylinder is 35-40 mm thick and moves max about 15 mm to full stroke, doing up the big nut (70 mm) up with a hammer and punch is no good the flange needs pressing and the nut needs setting . tctractors.

  8. #8Jason Herrington2022-01-16 16:18

    How does this w How do I get the pinion shaft off of the inner clutch flange?

  9. #9Micamote2022-05-18 12:03

    Hi ! It maybe a stupid question but how you'll remove the steering clutch assembly bolts?

  10. #10John C.2022-05-18 20:36

    You need a press or porto power to hold it together until you get the bolts out and then you can release the pressure slowly.