Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

komatsu D31P-17

Glenn VEILLON ยท 2022-05-20 15:33

hello new to this forum I have a D31p-17 dozer. Need to change sprockets and repair a leaking tensioner. Not sure where to start. Do i need to split the tracks. Im guessing I do. Wondering how to identify master pin. Can that be driven out or do I need to find someone with a pin press. Someone told me I could remove the tracks without splitting them. Any help I would appreciate

Replies1
  1. #1tractormech2022-05-22 23:34

    Not sure on the p-17. Is the sprocket one solid piece or do the teeth bolt on? If one piece with a big nut in the middle I think you'll need a puller and a porta power. I did a p18 years ago and that's what was needed. They are pressed on a tapered shaft with 20 or 30 tons. I'd check into that before you disable the machine. It may more than you want to tackle when you consider the special tools to do it. You are stuck when you can't get the sprockets off. Best of luck with it.