got a 96' D31P its runnin hot off and on. I replaced the thermostat and that didnt work so I gutted the old one and that worked but not completely. I think the radiator is plugged or the water pump going bad maybe. It'll get hot but if you idle for a minute it will cool down, but it still runs on the hotter side of the guage. Its not leaking anywhere. I looked in the radiatior and it looks dirty or like theres build up on the tubes. I could be wrong. I would like to try flushing it out before I pull the radiator. Is there any radiator flush that really works or is it a waste of time. I know the right thing to do is pull it an have it rotted out and replace the water pump, but I'm looking for a quicker fix for now. thanks for any help
Hi, We have a similar problem. Did you ever find a solution to your problem? Can you email us at [email protected] ?
Do you know a web address? I can't find anything that matches.
I'm having almost the same problem with my excavater and was considering the same thing. I look forward to seeing what has worked for other guys in the past.
First thing I would go for, believe it or not, is external. Check the cleanliness of the outside of the radiator & pressure wash, check the condition & tension of the fan belts & pulleys. May be simple stuff but it's amazing how many people don't check it out before diving deeper into the systems.
This is what our Cat manual tell us to do: 1. Check coolent level. 2. Check fan belts. 3. Check for external radiator clogging. 4. Check water temperature regulators. 5. Check for internal clogging (backflush). For the backflush: 5 parts muriatic acid 1 part formaldehyde 48 parts water Run through system for three hours. We have not had any luck finding formaldehyde. Good luck, Jason
We recently have had a few Takeuchi minis with overheating problems (tb53 + tb153) we did all the obvious to them even back flushed the rads after running coolant system cleaners thought them with no real difference noticed as they were still overheating on hot days. Our last efforts were to remove the rads and sent them to our rad guys, they removed the header tank and rodded the cores due to corrosion blockages but the tb 153 cores were unable to be rodded due to a weave running through them, these then were recored with a higher capacity unit, the both solutions have sorted our probs out, its also cheaper this way as the rads are quite dear for these machines. Once all the obvious has been carried out this might be one solution to your problem.