Hi guys. I recently picked up a mid 80s komatsu D31S-17 track loader. Ive been searching for an operation and maintenance manual all over the web with no luck. I have been trying to do maintenance on it, and found that the fluid dipsticks under the seat are all low. My problem is, without the manual, i dont know what the diptubes are for, and dont know what type of oil to add. There are 3 dipsticks under the seat. Anyone know what they are? I think the center tube is for the transmission. Could the other tubes be for the lube in the finals, or are they for the wet clutches? It looks like hydraulic oil on the end of the dipsticks but i cant exactly tell. Anyone know what type of fluid i should add? or have a manual for it? I dont want to operate it with the fluids low.
What, Nobody wants to talk to me? WWWWAAAAAAAA!!!! Just kidding! Nobody knows about the dipstick tubes eh? Ive been trying search old posts and came up with some info on it, still need more. Im surprised nobody here knows what the 3 dipsticks are under the seat of a 85 D31s. Ive also been searching for the operation and maintenance manual, and still havent found one . I found the other manuals but not the one that has all the info i need. I pulled the floorboard off and found 1 tube goes into trans, and the other 2 im not sure about. Any help would be apreciated. I might try asking this question to the dozer guys maybe theyll know.
LoL, I got your "just kidding" sick&tired. Pretty funny. No joking though, just relax, it could be no one here knows your particular machine. Tell ya what, if you plan on having the machine for a while, you really should order the parts manual from your Komatsu dealer, you're going to find it handy over time. And you should order the maintenance decal that should be on your machine, it will tell you what fluids to use, what the service intervals are, and where the various dipsticks are located.
Thanks. Thats what i figured. It is an old machine now. It has been painted before, therefore those stickers are long gone. I did find the parts book online, and i am getting it. The repair manual i found on ebay. Kinda pricey though at $160+ and not needed immediately. Its the operation and maintenance book which is tough to find. I found one listed on a site in the UK, but it was an old post, and had been sold.
S&T, I understand your frustrations. Look at your parts book & it will tell you what dipsticks go to what components. I own a 16 series unit,which is earlier than yours..& a bit heavier. You possibly have a trans & a bevel/transfer dipstick under there. My trans uses 13 litres of SAE30 Engine Oil. Do an INTERNATIONAL eBay search for your machine & SAVE it.You will be contacted when any item comes up for sale for your machine. I have found manuals this way.There's a German guy who sells many Komatsu manuals on eBay. Also,your local Komatsu guy should be able to advise on your fluids,etc. They have the info on hand. To find parts,Machinery Trader searches are good.Look under dismantled machines. Hope that helps. Jim
Thanks Jim. Darinray in the dozer section knew the answer as well. Sae 30w engine oil in all 3. Now i just have to wait for the weather to shape up to work it. Thanks for the info everyone.
You can help to find the catalog on KOMATSU PC130-5K Serial Nr K20802 Year 1998 Where is possible to download the catalog on the Internet ?
all three + engine use SAE30w . The hydraulics use 10w.