Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D37-P

3130 ยท 2022-05-10 21:23

Guys, the manual calls for 15W-40 motor oil for the hydraulic system. However, dealer parts techs are telling me I can use hydraulic oil instead. What are you guys using? TIA

Replies5
  1. #1John C.2022-05-10 21:56

    What is the Dash number on the machine? Hydraulic oil works just fine on the older generation machines. Maybe provide a serial number and someone can provide the information you are looking for.

  2. #231302022-05-10 22:30

    Sorry.... its a D37P-5. I'm worried motor oil could damage the pump being so thick.

  3. #3epirbalex2022-05-12 00:00

    My dozer's have different recommendations for seasonal difference in temperature's for the motor , for the hydraulics they say to use engine oil . Match your hydraulic oil to the requirement for your engine as the seasons change . I'm lucky where I am , it has a mild climate , so make do with 15-40 for both uses year round .

  4. #431302022-05-14 02:26

    Have you ever had any issues with pump seals going out using motor oil?

  5. #5epirbalex2022-05-14 14:09

    No , Komatsu manuals list what they need used . I have questioned the requirement for engine oil to be used in the Komatsu DWT125 winch while the transmission needs a 30 grade oil . Seems to me the winch could use the same oil . I can't see any risk using a hydraulic oil in your hydraulic system but can see a risk of using different oils, one may get used in the wrong application . One less grade of oil used on a dozer leaves less room for error . I think that may be behind what Komatsu were thinking .