Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D39p1, needing lots of repair

Iron@Dirt ยท 2010-08-28 22:33

Bought a broken D39 a few weeks ago. Right side doesn't pull or brake, broken final. If you put the blade down in dirt left track will spin in 1 or 2 at about 1/2 or 3/4 throttle. Plenty oil leaks. Washed it a few times. Found clutch material in right screen. Left brake doesnot work. How do you tell if material is steering or p/s?

Replies10
  1. #1SE-Ia Cowman2010-08-29 00:21

    I dont know anything about komatsu but back when I was a John Deere mechanic sometimes you could tell what part of the powershift the problem came from if the material was large enugh to compare to a new clutch. Example on older john deere tractors C1 C2 and reverse was in the front half of the transmision B1 B2 and B3 was in the back half. the front clutchs were about 6'' in dia and the back were about 12'' if you had a piece of the outside or inside you could tell by the radius were to look. It sometimes saved thousands because the difference was wether or not the cab had to come off and the axle houseings. if you have very small pieces you may be out of luck and kotmaso may use the same dia of clutch in every pack.

  2. #2John C.2010-08-29 13:18

    As I recall that unit is the same as the Dresser TD9H. I has planetary steering in it and it doesn't matter which side the problem is in. You have to pull the cab and seat and all to get to the top plate on the tub. When you remove that top plate you can see both sides of the steering and brake mechanisms. If the final were broken it would be locked up usually. Good Luck!

  3. #3Iron@Dirt2010-08-29 18:35

    I pulled chain and sprocket sat. The sprocket is hitting the frame because the bearings fell out of the outer final. Need to make support to finish pulling final. Hope to get a glimspe of brake and clutch pads. Cannt see much from hole in the back. Thanks for yall input, great to have the help. ( I got a few parts pages for D39P1 from dealer, some of them had TD9H on top.)

  4. #4Iron@Dirt2010-09-01 22:25

    Pulled final apart, top gear is wiped out, bottom gear is chipped. Any thoughts on used compared to after market? Almost scared to check price of new one. Hoping I can repair housing.

  5. #5Iron@Dirt2010-09-13 21:26

    Will need to bore and sleeve housing and sprocket carrier. Does anyboby know how much to allow for pressing the seal halves together?

  6. #6John Canfield2010-09-17 20:44

    Yikes! How many hours on your D39?

  7. #7Iron@Dirt2010-09-17 21:06

    It is showing 5100 hours, either really wrong or bad abuse, probably both. Bought on low end, more repairs than I thought, but depending on price of parts could still be o-kay(I usually give some of my labor away on projects like this). Hoping to replace my JD 350B after it is finished. This is the only way I could have moved up to this new a machine for part time work.

  8. #8Iron@Dirt2011-08-07 20:14

    Well finally got it running a couple of weeks ago and put it in the dirt yesterday for a few hours. Ended up with an oil leak, but was able to tighten on location, even though it was already pretty tight. Guess it was not too bad for all the hoses I had to pull off over most of a year. Realy impressed so far with handling and power and fuel consuption. Never ran a torque convertor machine (or a joy stick machine )before, neat the way it loads up, steers good to. The JD350 is a nice little machine but this D39 is a lot more bang and opens up a whole new world for work.

  9. #9John Canfield2011-08-07 20:42

    I sold my D39 to my brother-in-law last winter but I had a chance to operate it on his ranch in central Texas for a full day early summer knocking over trees and making trails for wildlife and it has the power to handle medium sized and shallow rooted trees in one pass. 20K pounds is a nice size for a light dozer. I'll be back on it this fall when the weather is kinder . Congrats on getting yours going! (Dad gum - I miss my big-boy toy!!!)

  10. #10Iron@Dirt2011-08-07 21:04

    Thanks John and all you guys for the help.