Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu d45 with probably hole in head

slwbid ยท 2016-02-05 22:10

I have a d45 that is about a 1980 model. I had just rebuilt tracks and several new rollers. Motor cranked very easy and ran smooth as silk. Used no oil. Great older dozer. However, the Turbocharger flew apart and a piece went into the intake manifold before I could shut it down. If you try to turn it over, you can clearly tell motor is binding. I pulled out one of the injectors and engine oil came out the hole. There is a really old welder in my neighborhood who can weld about anything that can be welded. He says he can weld hole in block if that it is. It is a lot of work (for me) to pull head off, etc to access damage. Komatsu Dealership has told me it is so old that it would not be worth repairing. Another experienced mechanic listened to me turn it over once and he said it sounded deep, as if something got through a piston down into the crank. Pretty discouraged here and just wondering if anyone has had similar happen and if you took motor apart, what luck you had. Also, I might be open to buying a used motor if I could find a decent one at an affordable price. But as old as it is, guess they are few and far between. I've had no luck. Anyone got any advice? Thank you so much Stacy Whetzell Any ideas out there as to if I should tackle it

Replies2
  1. #1Cmark2016-02-05 22:44

    It's possible that the oil has come from the failed turbo. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I would think it unlikely that a piece of aluminium compressor wheel would punch a hole in the head. You've got to remove the head, there's no getting away from that. You'll probably find a bent valve or two and a piston crown chowdered up. Worst case will be if you've bent a connecting rod or damaged a liner. If the head is fixable, don't get too stressed about a few dings in a piston if money is tight. I've seen some engines run with pretty ropey piston tops, I can tell you!

  2. #2Wes J2016-02-05 22:53

    I took a piston out of a 3406 Cat in 3 pieces that just made the slightest tick when it was running...