Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu d455a/d555a

kazooreck · 2024-01-05 13:46

Does anyone have information and unique photos of these machines? d455a was reportedly the first superdozer. Does anyone know of any dozers still in operation? Some time ago, you could find several of these machines on Russian construction machinery websites. The D555a was a prototype and only one was reportedly built. Can anyone write more about the d555a model? Btw.sorry for my english Regards, Łukasz

Replies36
  1. #1Rustyshacklford2024-01-06 12:49

    If you look on pa mining’s YouTube channel there’s a pretty good video on one. I’m sorry but I don’t know how to share the link or I would.

  2. #2Tinkerer2024-01-06 14:43
  3. #38V712024-01-06 14:59

    Fresno Tractor Incorporated had a fleet of D455s I believe they still have some in operation available to rent

  4. #4kazooreck2024-01-06 15:16

    Thanks. I like the videos from the PA Minning channel. Of course, I saw the episode about D455a. Maybe someone has some photos or videos from their private archive? Is there anyone here who has worked on this machine?

  5. #5Welder Dave2024-01-06 16:25

    The pads look pretty worn in the video. Not sure about the rest of the undercarriage. The 455A was in production for a lot of years. Curious how many were made and how they fared when the D10 came out?

  6. #6chidog2024-01-06 20:46

    From memory, I think the 455 had 2 transmissions, side by side. Good idea I think way better than the hydra stat stuff I'm not a fan of.

  7. #7Welder Dave2024-01-06 23:58

    It mentioned in the video 2 torque converters.

  8. #8.RC.2024-01-07 00:29

    I struggle to see how a torque converter for each side would work. You would think each track would be slowing down and speeding up based on the traction. You would struggle to keep it straight.

  9. #9Welder Dave2024-01-07 03:15

    I'd have the video again. It explained how it works fairly well.

  10. #10.RC.2024-01-07 04:09

    I watched it again and there is no real explanation. So I found a sales brochure and it mentions just parts of what he says, two converters and two transmissions, no mention of anything like power turns though, other then the ability to counter rotate the tracks. I am not sure how exactly it all works as mentions this "centre clutch" In video as he moves to show the blade controls, he neglects to mention the little lever in front. Looking at the video, this probably counter rotates the tracks. My guess would be it puts one transmission into reverse depending on what direction you move the lever. You would hope there would be some feature so it only works while in first gear. You could imagine some "operator" tearing down the road in third and accidentally knocking the lever to counter rotate.

  11. #11kazooreck2024-01-07 04:20

    I read somewhere that 2,000 were built. At the time of its presentation in 1975, d455 was the the largest bulldozer in the world. Two years later the D10 came out, it seems that d455a has lost its importance. I saw that a lot of D455 ended up in Russian mines. There were also a lot of sales offers from this country. Maybe someone can share their impressions of using the D10 and d455a?

  12. #12Welder Dave2024-01-07 15:43

    2000 is a fair number of machines.

  13. #138V712024-01-07 15:49

    I’ve ran both and preferred operating the 455 over the 84W D10 especially on a slope. Working on them is a different story. I’d rather work on the 10 any day.

  14. #14Welder Dave2024-01-07 18:10

    That was one of the main reasons for the elevated sprockets. The D475's seem to have a good following competing against D11's. Komatsu advertising suggested the elevated sprocket arrangement had more wear points and would wear faster than conventional set ups.

  15. #15chidog2024-01-08 04:02

    Any more I would not want to have a "JOB" that requires working on any of them. Removing the transmission on a high drive bare back is an ok job though. It probably wouldn't take too much to make the 455 do differential power steering if it can't as is. I like the old Komatsu's, served lots of time on a 375. D10 I think is smaller than a 375, and I think the 455 is bigger than the 375, 475 is much bigger than a D11. Too lazy to check all the weights right now. And what is huge on all those large dozers is the fuel tank that says it all.

  16. #16kazooreck2024-01-08 04:53

    I saw their d455 fleet. It looks impressive. They look very well restored.

  17. #17kazooreck2024-01-08 07:31

    I found this information: operating weight D10 - c.a. 87 000 kgs, d455a-1 - c.a. 80,000 kgs and 700 HP vs. 620 (650 HP).

  18. #18Welder Dave2024-01-08 12:01

    A 375 is a little smaller than a D10 from what I remember.

  19. #19chidog2024-01-08 19:25

    New CAT D10 Dozer - Equipment ID: 115080 | Holt of CA The Cat® D10 Dozer is innovative by design — developed by a team of experts who follow a design approach that incorporates feedback from the field with industry-leading technologies to deliver a dozer that continues to advance with every model. The new D10 is no exception. It’s more... www.holtca.com 154888 lbs https://www.empire-cat.com/equipment/new/dozers/large-dozers/d11-d11-cd 229800 lbs D375A-8 surface mining dozer | Komatsu The Komatsu D375A mining dozer is designed for power, stability and solid performance. Unique lockup torque converter minimizes fuel consumption. www.komatsu.com 163340 lbs D475A-8 surface mining dozer | Komatsu The Komatsu D475A mining dozer is designed for power, stability and solid performance. Unique lockup torque converter minimizes fuel consumption compared to operation in manual gearshift mode. www.komatsu.com 254195 lbs All similar equipped blades and ripper. The Komatsu's are bigger than the Cats.

  20. #20Welder Dave2024-01-08 19:33

    That is a comparison to a new D10 not an original D10 that is closer in weight to a D11.

  21. #218V712024-01-08 20:56

    84W D10s were 180,000lbs+

  22. #22Welder Dave2024-01-08 21:08

    An original D10 is about 10 tons heavier than a new 375. Not sure what the weight of an older 375 is. I'd guess a little lighter. I'm curious if more weight alone gives more pushing power or if there's some kind of formula to calculate drawbar pull based on weight, length of track on the ground, track shoe width and grouser height, HP, weight bias, etc. You could have lots of weight but maybe not enough HP in high traction situations to utilize that weight or other circumstances.

  23. #23chidog2024-01-08 21:43

    HP ? A measure of the amount of work done in a certain amount of time. A large machine could be powered with a very low HP engine, of course with a lot of torque multiplication. The only big issue with that is the machine is just much slower. The more the dozer weighs the more weight it can push or pull. Weight is the most important thing along with track ground pressure and grouser bar.

  24. #24Welder Dave2024-01-09 01:11

    Manufacturers must use a formula to figure out the optimal length of track on the ground for the weight of the dozer. There have been several dozers in the past that have had the track lengthened or have long track options. A JD 850J WLT has a longer and wider track than a standard 850J but isn't considered an LGP dozer. It in between a standard and an LGP. I think Cat has long track options on some dozers too.

  25. #25.RC.2024-01-09 01:33

    XL on cat machines is extra track to the front. XR is extra track to the rear. XW is wider gauge. Komatsu dozers use A,E and P. A is standard track, E is extended track and P is LGP gauge.

  26. #26Welder Dave2024-01-09 01:56

    What are the benefits of extended the rear compared to extending the front and vice versa? What is the benefit of the standard track, why not just put an extended track on? I can understand for LGP but not don't know for standard pads.

  27. #27kazooreck2024-01-09 10:04

    Operating Weight: 191 000 lbs vs. 176 000 lbs CAT D10 brochure: https://ccmodels.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/D10_Spec_Sheet1.pdf Komatsu d455a-1 brochure:

  28. #28Mquinista2024-01-10 07:02

    As far my knowledge goes tractors below the 20T size, are usually used for utility uses , one may be grading a back fill today and tomorrow clearing some land, day after cutting some road across a mountain... Tractors above usually are bought by contractors for real heavy duty pushing and ripping including the ones D8 and above wich u find them in huge contruction sites or mines. For instance in my region ground is dry, so no need of LPG´s or XL´s as standard machines go very well and in the end repair and replacement cost comes low. For instance in norten europe a STD machine would sank in there lands , so LPG´s are the go. If one works on sandy ground LPG is no nedded as sand eats away everithing fast, a STD machine has balance issues so a extended track machine will help a lot, Usually heavy machines work in cleared and though ground, so no sinking issues... if u see a D8 size machine with LGP tracks , certainly is a custom build.

  29. #29kazooreck2024-01-10 08:06

    I read somewhere that the advantage of the D10 over the d455a is the costs of service. Maybe someone can explain to someone like me, why Komatsu couldn't compete with CAT in the super dozers category? If we compare bulldozers of this class, we have to compare machines of the same generation. D10 (1st gen.) Is larger than d455a. The first generation d375a-1 weight approx.125,000 pounds.

  30. #30De chanterac2025-01-26 10:02
  31. #31De chanterac2025-01-26 10:03

    D455 en France….démarrage dans quelques semaines

  32. #32De chanterac2025-01-26 10:09
  33. #33chidog2025-01-27 21:58

    Need to do a specification search. Komatsu's have always been heavier than Cats. That is the Komatsu secret sauce.

  34. #34Welder Dave2025-01-27 22:05

    I don't think weight alone means a dozer will push more or be more productive.

  35. #35Marcrus2025-01-28 06:55

    There's one still ticking around at a quarry used daily in Victoria that I know of, had the full undercarriage done on it about 4-5:years ago and idlers built back up etc. good old tractor, the twin transmission set up was done because Komatsu didn't have time to completely develop a new transmission to take the horsepower to compete with caterpillars latest offering at the time and that was the way to do it with what they had.

  36. #36chidog2025-01-28 14:48

    Yeah for production the correct HP is needed as well. Weight is the key as well as track grouser, ground conditions for tractive effort.