Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D65-E Cummins 855 Stuck

jasonharville ยท 2017-12-11 12:04

Hi Everyone, It has been awhile since I posted because back in the summer I had some engine trouble which forced me to park my D65 and rent something else to get the job done. Now that some of the pressure is off on my land clearing project, I want to start investigating my engine troubles. Here's what happened. I had been having trouble with my torque converter temps rising and was in the midst of investigating the cause of that issue when I developed a leak in one of the water manifold pipes. I was continuing to use the machine for about 1 hour at a time until the TC would overheat, and in the process, was loosing a couple of gallons of coolant between uses. I'd top off the radiator each time and go to work. After about 4 iterations of this, I noticed that the dozer would run longer and longer before TC overheat. Eventually, I was running it for 2+ hours and only experiencing overheating when enough coolant had leaked out. I theorized that I was preforming a radiator/oil cooler flush by way of the excessive coolant leak. I was working the engine pretty hard on a pond damn coring project when all of the sudden the engine seemed to bog and a screech-screech-screech noise started. I idled the engine down as the screeching was getting louder by the second. I went to turn the machine off and it stopped pretty rapidly, screeching all the while. Just as it stopped, there was a pop under the exhaust and oil/steam/smoke. I was afraid I had thrown a rod, but when I got down to inspect, the oil fill cap had blasted off and sprayed oil on the exhaust, which caused the smoke. I quickly realized that the oil spray was rather milky and thick...obviously contaminated with water. Now, I had a habit of checking the oil every 3-4 hours as the machine also had a way of making engine oil disappear, so the oil contamination must have happened fairly rapidly for me not to have noticed it. I'm now suspicious that a prior owner had ran a stop leak additive which I gradually flushed out by topping off the coolant repeatedly. After letting the machine sit for half the day as I shook off the gut punch feeling, I decided to see if the engine would even spin. To my surprise it not only spun over, but it fired up(which wasn't my intent). It sounded like it was running fine for the 3 seconds before I turned it back off, so I went to work replacing the oil so that I could at hopefully at least drive it out of the pond basin before the pending bad weather. Changed the oil and filters, fired it up, ran flawlessly for about 20 seconds so I put it in reverse to try to move it. The added load caused the squealing to start so I threw it out of gear, idled down and turned it off. Again, the engine stopped turning rather abruptly on its own with accompanying screechy noises. Ever since that attempt, the engine will not turn over with the starter. I ended up pushing it out of the hole and up to dry land with another dozer I rented. With all that said, I have a few questions: *I am hoping to start investigating the engine problem soon, any suggestions on where I should start my search? *I have access to an inspection camera. Is it possible to identify a spun bearing through the oil drain hole before removing the belly pan? *In a contaminated oil scenario, where is the most likely sieze/failure point on these 855 engines?

Replies2
  1. #1John C.2017-12-12 00:46

    Unless someone changed the motor you probably have a 743 engine and not an 855. Old cummins engines had plenty of problems with the head to block sealing and liners either pitting through or sinking in the block. The torque converters also had a lot of pieces inside that could fail and push the crank shaft forward against the thrust bearing. I would suggest pulling the engine oil and transmission filters to start with. If there is any metal in either it is a sure bet you will be pulling at least the torque converter out. I think you have to pull the engine on that machine to pull the oil pan for an inspection of the internals. It used to be I would pull the heads first but that doesn't make it any easier to pull the engine if it has to come out. Good Luck!

  2. #2jasonharville2017-12-12 09:08

    Its definitely an 855N. I think it may even be factory equipment but this machine is a bit of an oddball. Its a D65E-6B, and best I can tell the B means Brazil. I've found several listings online for the 6B and they all seem to have the 855 engine. Either way, thanks for the thoughts. I replaced the TC filters about 60 hours ago and when I cut them open I didn't see any signs of metal. I haven't done the same for the engine filtration, but I'll check it out. As for the pan, it appears to be removable based on what I saw when dropping the belly guard for cleaning it up about 6 months ago. It's definitely going to be some work either way! I'll probably drain the oil and see what I can see with my inspection camera on the lower end, and same goes for injectors on the top end.