Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

komatsu d65 oil leak

eric12 · 2011-08-25 22:06

hi i have a komatsu d 65 dozer that seems to be leaking hydraulic fluid into the transmission from the hydraulic system, any thoughts on where to look for the oil leaking through? it leaked around 10 gallons of hydraulic fluid into the transmission and there is nothing leaking out or dripping any where. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Replies7
  1. #1tctractors2011-08-26 15:31

    Try having a look at the drive end of your hydraulic pump, its under your right foot upto a series 8, if its a -12 or above go for the HSS pump in the depths of doom, as things get painfull on the later series tractors.

  2. #2eric122011-08-26 22:31

    its a 12 and i started to take the HSS pump off today but didnt have quite all of the tools i needed so im going to finish taking it off tomorrow. what does HSS stand for? and i understand the depths of doom what a pain to get at. any tips or hints on removing the HSS pump? im sending it out to be rebuilt and tested, is that the right thing to do?

  3. #3RDG2011-08-26 23:25

    I think the HSS stands for hydraulic steering system or hydrostatic steering system not sure which, basically Ks version of Cs diff steering system. Cheers RDG.

  4. #4MrKomatsu2011-08-27 18:21

    you need to check the pumps that mount to the convertor housing.....hyd oil dropping and trans. oil rising...main hyd. pump front seal...is your steering case over full if it is then it could be your HSS motor mounted on top of the steering case under Your fuel tank....

  5. #5tctractors2011-08-28 16:07

    If I get "posted" to look at a Komatsu transmission, steering,fan speed problem on dash 12 upwards machines, I look at the hour meter, if its past about 10'000 hrs, I know I am on to a hiding, as these tractors cannot be repaired within the cash constraints of the normal owner, to repair them is just so costly I usualy turn the jobs down now, its all about knowing where to stop with the things, any bits of metal get pumped around the back end the job just turns into a nightmare, if you swap out the HSS pump the tractors usualy manage another 1500 hrs before the big Calve-down (knacker up) that often hits over £20'000 to sort, I find that the owners sort of tag me as the bringer of " Doom " to their pockets, so I just avoid any transmission oil faults, CATs are easy to repair and cheap against the Komatsu, the series 6 to 8 machines were simple to sort once you had the tranny out, 17/19 mm spanner, hammer, and a pair of circlip pliers was all you needed.

  6. #6Palosy2013-01-11 03:12

    Hi, i have the same problem whit my komatsu D65 dozer - the gearbox is loosing oil but there is no sign where, by the way all the oil recipients and hydraulic tanks are on normal level.

  7. #7Godwin Shoko2024-01-30 00:49

    Hi I have a d65 dozer the one which uses a universal joint to connect to the transmission. I am trying to change the leaking transmission input shaft seal...have loosened the bolt that locks the flange on the transmission side but the flange is stuck and it's not moving at tried using pry bars and forcing bolts ....maybe am missing something....any1 who can assist