Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu d65e-6 electrical question

Racenitro ยท 2010-01-04 14:00

D65E-6 wCummins NH220 engines...the fuel shut off solenoid...is it 12 volts or 24 volts? Need to replace the electrical coil..and it has been rewired... Should it run on 12 volts or 24 volts? I haven't found a shop manual yet so I am flyiing solo... Solenoid is burned out so I need to replace it. Have several options but want to know what the correct voltage is supposed to be.

Replies11
  1. #1SterlingR2010-01-04 19:54

    I would say 24, but check current at the plug at the solenoid.

  2. #2John C.2010-01-04 19:56

    However many batteries you have and how they are hooked up will tell what voltage you are running. I haven't seen any bigger Komatsu dozers that didn't run 24 volts. Good Luck!

  3. #3Racenitro2010-01-04 21:34

    THe voltage measures 24 Volts but the problem is that the wire from the wiring harness is not being used, there is a separate wire that appears two have been added...that is why I wonder what the correct voltage is...the one on the dozer is burned out and I want to replace it. Have a 12 volt solenoid but wanted to be sure. No markings on the burned out solenoid that indicate what the voltage is. The Dozer is 24 volts for the starting circuit and charging circuit.

  4. #4willie592010-01-04 21:48

    If it has 24V coming to it, you better put a 24V coil on it. If you mount a 12V, it will fry it like ribs on the BBQ grill.

  5. #5Racenitro2010-01-04 22:07

    I realize that. I was wanting to know what it was supposed to be since I don't have a shop manual for the dozer. I don't get a reading on the unused lead, only the added wire... I was wondering if maybe in the past the Previous owner had it go out and replaced it with a 24 volt unit and ran the line because he needed 24 volts. The wiring harness wire is too small a gauge wire for 24 volts continuous.

  6. #6SterlingR2010-01-05 15:15

    It's a 24 volt system. My guess is he had a break in the harness and instead of repairing he patched.

  7. #7John C.2010-01-05 21:24

    A 24 volt system will use a smaller wire than a 12 volt system because there is half the amperage passed through the coil. As I said before, I've never seen a 12 volt D65 Komatsu dozer. What voltage are you getting on the jumper wire?

  8. #8Racenitro2010-01-05 21:55

    Thanks for the replies. I get 24 volts on the replacemen,t wire and 0 volts on the harness wire. I got a 24 volt coil and am replacing the burned out one with it.

  9. #9saurin2010-08-22 04:02

    whts differences between d65e & d65p?

  10. #10tctractors2010-08-25 13:36

    E= Extended Track frame. P= low ground pressure (Bog Master) A= standard track frame. tctractors ps all Komatsu D65's are 24 volt through out all series.

  11. #11farmdozer652012-02-26 17:03

    Just joined!