Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D65e-7

Paul Daniels ยท 2014-08-27 03:40

Hi I'm chasing info on this machine Komatsu D65e-7 the engine NH220-ci needs a full rebuild with new crank etc. I was told you could fit a NT855 into it instead. Dose any one know about this, do you just swap bell housing etc, can Trans handle power difference, or is just worth rebuilding my block, it has been run out of oil spun No2 bigend etc ? Regards Paul

Replies5
  1. #1D6 Merv2014-08-29 16:03

    Have never heard of any D65 -6/7 being repowered over here with a 855. And is still a lot of early 65s on this side of the ditch. Are a very popular logging dozer here. Most people have just rebuilt there NH220s/743 motors, mainly with good aftermarket parts. TC tractors on here would be well worth asking his opinion also. Good luck with her :drinkup

  2. #2trustworthylion2014-08-29 18:28

    I wonder if some one can help me .I have a customer overseas who has some Komatsu D8 and d65 and other heavy equipment.he is looking for the whole lot of hydraulic equipment to dismantle and assemble the undercarriages like the hydraulic pump,pullers,adaptors etc.Komatsu dealer cant help me.does anyone know where i can purchase this equipment >please help.my email is [email protected] and tel 9166072644.

  3. #3tctractors2014-08-30 15:55

    Paul, the engine fitted in the -7 is a Cummins built by Komatsu under permit, the innards are basicly the same although the injector setting is to a lower inch pound value to the standard built Cummins, the engine has the 4 valve head with I think single springs? anyhow I can recall getting a 220 out of a truck to poke in place of the Komatsu built engine, and finding allsorts of things not the same, so I stripped out the cranks of both engines thinking they would swap only to find that the truck crank needed some lathe work done to it so it would fit the Komatsu block, I cannot recall the exact issue with the cranks but it all worked O.K. as for poking in an 855 big or small cam motor I would not know about this, all I can say is the Komatsu built Cummins had small items different to the the Cummins built motor, if you look on the data plate on your Komatsu engine you will see the injector inch lbs setting I think its 60? on the trucks its 75 or 80 the engine is that under stressed, I loved the -7's and the D85's with the Cummins in, oh and watch out on the back flywheel case as they often have no dowels and need dial gauge setting, best of luck as it looks like you will have a weeks work ahead? tctractors

  4. #4tctractors2014-08-31 12:52

    Just as an extra thought, the Komatsu built NH220-C ( C= Construction Build) is a non blown engine Although the very last ones did sport a Turbo I have never seen 1, the power of the NH in the dozer is around the 160-165 HP from just over 12 litres the Cummins 855 is 14 litres and pokes out a few more beans than you need and takes up more space. tctractors

  5. #5Paul Daniels2014-09-07 08:47

    D65e-7 Hey Guys thanks for your input, I've recently ordered a full rebuild kit, new crank and 1 new conrod. It dose look like I'll be busy for a week or two ha ha. I flirted with the idea of putting another motor in, A Fella up the road from here is rebuilding a -6 a or something anyhow he was telling me he put a 855 in his. Which would properly be fine if you got it real cheap but then you don't know what it's done hey. Yes I have the proper Komatsu manuals for it and will be doing every thing to there specifications, Take it easy Paul D