hello, we are thinking of purchasing a larger dozer to help out are 1997 pc150lc-6 excavator, and our 1999 d41-e dozer. I have read the specs and they both sound real close, i was just wondering if any one has ran both of these machines. the only cat machine ive run is our 1978 955l track loader we used to have. i loved that machine, but it was a fuel sucking money pit. .we traded it and a ford backhoe in on the d41-e when we bought it new in 2000. any way i was curious how these two campared to each other and how much fuel they burn in a day. thanks.
I think Cat sizes there tanks to run a 12 hour day between fueling. I may be wrong but that is what I have heard, maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong. also check with the other co's I do know some size there tanks the same way.
I absolutely hate to say this, but you might want to take a look at the Deere line as well. The 700C and 750CII are doing pretty well for themselves. Are you looking at new equipment? What do you plan to do with the dozers?
i would consider a deere 850, but im really parcial to the komatsus. it would be mainly used for stripping jobsites and clearing. and were not really looking at BRAND new ones, there too pricey. lol
seems to me the Cat has the driveline (with the finaldrive being up high) as an advantage. Avaibility of a used D65EX seems slim compared to the more popular D6, at least from my quick look on machinerytrader.com
I own own a company with a fleet of 12 dozers: 4 - Komatsu D65EX-12LT 1 - Komatsu D65PX-12LT 1 - Komatsu D65PX-15LT 4 - Cat D6R XL XW 1 - Cat D7R LGP 1 - John Deere 650J Here are my thoughts; The Cats are much better dozers in the long run. The intial cost of the machine is higher but, the maintence costs are lower and the resale value is higher. With that being said, Komatsu makes a great dozer. I have had some problems with the pumps ($30K) on 3 of them (all with close serial numbers BTW) at around 6-7K hours although I have 2 Komatsu's with 9K and 11K that I have had absolutely no problems with. Most of my operators like running the Komatsu's better than the Cats. But for me from a cost standpoint it's hard not to go with a Cat. Keep in mind however that I put 2K+ hours/year on these machines. If you just want a machine for occassional usage, you can pickup a D65EX with around 7K hours for 45K. The equivelent D6R is going to set you back at least 70K and probably more like 90K. Fuel: Both machines like the diesel. 70-100 gallons/day@10hours seems to be the norm though it depends on how "hot" or "turned up" the machine is. The Komatsu is rated at 190 HP while the Cat is at 185HP. The Komatsu might have a little more power but it's so close, it really depends on which motor you got of the assembly line. Hope this helps. Dozer_Fan
65EX with out a doubt!
I ran across photos of the new D6K on another forum. http://www.constructioncentric.com/forum/YaBB.pl Has anyone had any seat time with one these yet?
We run D6R's, D65PX-12's, D65PX-15's, and 850 Deere's side by side. I agree with Dozer Fan's assessment, and let me add some thoughts from an operator's standpoint. For all out push, the Komatsu has a bit more grunt than the Cat, which has a bit more grunt than the Deere. The Deere is far more nimble, and feels like a fighter plane while the other two are lumbering bombers. The Deere is low and wide and will hang on a slope better than the narrower Komatsu, but the Komatsu is better than the top heavy Cat. The Deere has the nicest cab and the best visibility, followed by the Cat which is trailed by the Komatsu. All of them break down from time to time. My choice to operate would be the Komatsu for strictly bulk pushing, the Deere for everything else. A lot of the other operators prefer the Komatsu's for everything, though. But, if I were looking to BUY one, I'd see if I could get a nice PX-12 (or in your case, EX-12). The performance is the same as the the -15, with far less electronic nonsense. I'd say the -12 would be the best bang for the buck if you're not taking resale value into consideration.
We have 5 D65EX-12 in our fleet, with up to 16,000 hours on them. The only major component failure we have suffered is one planetary, due to the failure of the oil seal and a lack of attention by the operator. Their reliability has not even required anything much in the way of rebuilding, we have not rebearing anything other than the aforementioned planetary. We have not rebuilt or replaced a fuel pump, I think we have replaced one turbo and a few alternators, maybe a starter or two. Probably the most trouble free dozer we have owned in over 40 years of operation. I suggest buying a well maintained used (for their greater depreciation) and go out & make money in circles around those who want to pay the premium for Cat. Normally an equivalent Komatsu will move significantly more dirt than a Cat, and cut where a Cat will have to rip, as long as the blade is one designed to Komatsu specifications. I'm talking Straight, or as we use here, Angle Blades. Can't honestly say if that's true with U's or Semi-U's. One caveat, if you run something to failure the repair bills will likely be higher than a Cat's. If you want to speak to our head mechanic, or other personnel regarding the D65EX-12, then call me at (250) 785-2916 (Canada). Kevin
Welcome to the forum Kevin:drinkup I hope u will have a good time here with us. I've posted some videos of our Komatsu's at youtube, search for mktef.
Welcome to HEF KVB! :drinkup
Thank you for you very kind welcome!
I love it Dave, "top heavy cat". Good stuff here.
Just researching used older dozers. I am in georgia. We run a lot of older well used cat d6 dozers. Parts are plentiful but they are old and old fashioned. I see many used Komatsu d65-ex dozers around for sale cheap. Not sure how good they are or how reliable. I know operators like the extra power but owners seem to not like a Komatsu for some reason? The Deere....popular In small dozers and less popular in big dozers.