Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu dropping the utility line?

stumpjumper83 · 2011-02-16 23:23

Stopped at the local dealer for some bucket teeth and found some takeuchi's setting at the komatsu dealer's place. Supposedly Komatsu is dropping the 78's down?? Anyone else know anything?

Replies10
  1. #1KSSS2011-02-17 12:05

    I have heard that Komatsu was stopping production on their skids and CTLs. I did not hear that included their mini excavators which unlike their skid steers and CTLs have always seemed to sell well. CAT has changed their philosophy on mini production by sourcing it out.

  2. #2stumpjumper832011-02-17 16:52

    I thought they had good market share on the mini excavators. I almost bought one instead of my takeuchi. But, I guess corporate has other plans. I tried to see if komatsu's web site said anything, only thing I found was that komatsu and komatsu uyilities merged. utilitiies handled the mini construction & forklifts, so I dunno if the forklift dealer are gettin excavators or if they are stopping all together.

  3. #3nickbowers2011-02-17 17:17

    you hardly see a little komatsu down under or a Komatsu skid, I have never seen one of those in person

  4. #4JCBiron2011-02-17 17:57

    Mini excavators are not getting dropped, however, in addition to skids and CTL's, the backhoe has also gotten the axe from what I hear. Basically anything under the "utility" umbrella BUT the Mini's....I know in my area, the Komatsu dealer (who is huge), didn't really have an interest in "small" stuff!

  5. #5dist32011-02-18 11:14

    KSSS, I just did some searching on your post and all I could find was an agreement between Wacker Neuson and Caterpillar for its three smallest mini excavators. And a post online from a trade journal about a 250,000 sq ft addition in manufacturing space at a Sanford NC Compact machinery plant.

  6. #6KSSS2011-02-18 11:29

    Yes thats what I was refering to.

  7. #7dist32011-02-18 13:33

    I think that Wacker Neuson was an allied product available thru the rental stores and that its just another affiliation between companies not that they are going to outsource production.

  8. #8stock2011-02-18 13:43

    Caterpillar, Wacker Neuson SE Announce Strategic Alliance Wacker Neuson to produce select Caterpillar mini hydraulic excavators PEORIA, Ill. – Caterpillar Inc. (NYSE: CAT) and Wacker Neuson SE, Munich, Germany (ISIN DE000WACK012), announced today that the relevant executive bodies for both companies have signed an alliance agreement. The agreement between the parties is for the design, manufacture, sale and support of Caterpillar mini hydraulic excavators in the under three-ton category. The alliance agreement calls for Wacker Neuson to leverage its manufacturing and product development capability to produce Caterpillar mini hydraulic excavators in the under three-ton category at its production plant in Linz, Austria. Caterpillar currently offers three models in this size range. The machines will be produced to Caterpillar’s specifications and will be distributed and supported via Caterpillar’s global dealer network, with the exception of Japan. All Caterpillar models will be clearly differentiated from comparable Wacker Neuson models in the same product range.

  9. #9KSSS2011-02-18 22:36

    No, I think Wacker will be producing it.

  10. #10MrElectric032011-02-18 23:37

    Skids and backhoes were dropped because they didnt sell many and were spending too much money paying for warranty repairs. I didnt think the skids were too bad but backhoes were downright terrible.