Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu forklift cylinder seals

Old Doug · 2020-11-27 18:27

I dont have the model number here. The forklift has 3 cylinders on the lift one big short and 2 long skinny ones. The long ones were leaking out the top. I pulled the left one put in new seals. I pulled the right one and the seal on the ram is upside down from what i am used to or is this how it is? The seals lip is on top like it is to hold down presser.

Replies8
  1. #1John C.2020-11-28 13:17

    This is more of a thought than an answer. In the few forks lifts I've worked on the cylinders were single acting and the top seal was just a wiper. I recall a drain hose attached to the top of the cylinder that let air and any leakage go back to the tank.

  2. #2Old Doug2020-11-28 18:19

    Thats how the older ones were this has a big cylinder in the center with chains like a normal forklift when you raise the forks this one gos up then the other 2 take over and raise a second stage of the mast.

  3. #3John C.2020-11-28 20:31

    I’m thinking the piston sides are all tied together and the surface area of the big one makes it go to top out before the small cylinders start moving. There still needs to be some kind of vent above the piston. One of my clients has one that I’ll check when I’m there next.

  4. #4tractormech2020-11-29 07:24

    The lip on the piston seal should face down. Someone installed it upside down. Replace the packing and it'll work. You can match packing at a hydraulic shop. Komatsu is ridiculously expensive on packing and I've had to go to a Komatsu forklift dealer before as the heavy equipment dealer doesn't handle fork lift parts. As I recall (good luck) the side cylinders are single acting but I don't remember for certain if they had a drain hose to return seepage so it blows the top packing out and pours oil. A side note-if it has three screws around the head be careful-there's a ball bearing under each one so don't lose them. You have to take them completely out. Have a small magnet to catch the bearings. Good luck.

  5. #5Old Doug2020-11-29 17:42

    I had a place order the seals i couldnt get a dealer to call me back. I am going to put it back with the seal to presser. Its hard to beleve that some one with the smarts to remove this from the machine take it apart and put it back on would put the seal in the wrong way but strang stuff happens.

  6. #6tool_king2020-11-29 18:59

    What model are you working on or a picture of it ?

  7. #7Old Doug2020-11-29 23:22
  8. #8John C.2020-11-30 01:05

    I’d say that one is on backwards.