Hi, I have a 1994 Komatsu PC400-5 excavator in the western USA, rural area. Trying to figure out what hydraulic fluid to use to top it off with. Recently had hydrualic fluid changed at dealer. The manual says 10wt. The dealer says 10wt, 10w-30 or 15-40 motor oil, not aw46 My service ticket under hydraulic fluid says "70 gal HO46" - but thats NOT 10wt motor oil... ?!!? This doc seems to indicate it needs to be motor oil, AND HAVE DIESEL CD OR BETTER CERT, not aw46 (see esp page 10 ): http://www.sawyersystemsllc.com/sites/all/themes/sawyer/Guide to Selecting Hydraulic Fluid.pdf Dealer is several hrs away and $95/5gal. Cat is closer, says they have 10wt hydraulic fluid for the same price. Is this worth considering? http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...t-15w-40-diesel-engine-oil-5-gal?cm_vc=-10005 Or this cheaper aw46? https://www.walmart.com/ip/AW-46-Hy...online&wl12=54045743&wl13=&veh=sem#about-item I dont want to cut corners, but dont want to overpay at the dealer, and not at all clear what I should be looking for. What should I use? Where are some good places to buy it? Thanks!
AW 46 is all anyone ever used when those machines were new. The engine oil was an option when people didn't want to carry drums of different types of oil than could get in the wrong component.
So will any AW 46 do? This look fine to use? https://www.walmart.com/ip/AW-46-Hydraulic-Oil-Fluid-ISO-VG-46-SAE-15-5-Gallon-Pail/54045743? Trying to decipher the labels I found this: "R&O or RO stands for rust and oxidation - hydraulic oils with improved anti-rust and anti-oxidation properties. The ISO classification for these oils is HL. AW stands for anti-wear - RO hydraulic oils with an anti-wear additive package. The ISO classification for these oils is HM." -http:// www.insidersecretstohydraulics.com/hydraulic-oil-inventory.html
I alway bought a name brand hydraulic oil. Never had a problem that could be attributed to the oil. The old machine will not much care what you put in it.