Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu PC 360 lc troulbe code L03

mattoliver80 ยท 2016-07-24 04:37

So I have recently started back to work for a utilities contractor after some years off as a service tech. 2 things have came into play since I've started back, I've never serviced Komatsu equipment which is what brand this company has and all this DEF and emissions crap. In the past I've been able to use the internet as a platform to diagnose and fix alot of things that normally would be a dealer fix. So I've been searching on this Komatsu equipment and have not been able to find very much info at all. We have roughly 30 peices of machinery that is komatsu......and I have a PC360 LC thats's giving the code L03 in red on the display. In the past when the equipment was new I've been told that the dealer installed some sort of block off plate that has to do with the regeneration process. The machine has lost power and dies at random for no reason. What would you guys do? is there a computer program or something that is like a shop repair guide online we can purchase??? Since all their equipment besides a few is Komatsu where can I go for help. The local dealer isnt of much assistance so far. Thanks for any input in advance.

Replies12
  1. #1coalrulz2016-07-24 14:07

    The L03 code is a general action code to the operator, the L0_ codes do not tell either the operator or you what or where the problem is. For example the operators manual tells the operator to move the machine to a safe place and shutoff the engine if an LO3 general action code is displayed. Information on all the action codes is available in the operators manual. If you press the F key under the red exclamation point at the bottom of the monitor, while the code is active, the monitor will then display the six digit error code. The six digit error code can be used to find the specific system that is reporting the fault. Allot of the diagnostics can be accessed using the Service side of the monitor. I would recommend you read up first on the operators manual then purchase and read up on the service manual. Some dealers will give you a PDF copy of the service manual for free and have seen some dealers charge fees.

  2. #2wrencher2016-07-24 18:48

    Yeah an E03 is an action code. You need to check the monitor for the actual code and troubleshoot from there. You can get a lot of information out of the operators manual. I would also suggest getting the parts and service manuals on a USB stick. As far as the dealer blocking something off for the regen system, I highly doubt it. The regen system is complex and has sensors that the controllers look at. If something was bypassed or blocked it would throw codes as soon as it was done.

  3. #3mattoliver802016-07-24 20:47

    Thank y'all fro the replies. Everyone has always been helpful in pointing me in the right direction. I will check those things first thing in the morning. I'll ask again what was blocked off. When the machine was new Komatsu done what ever it was to keep the guy from returning 4 pieces of equipment that stayed in the shop constantly. I'm guessing all the bugs wasn't worked out of the tier 4 system or something.

  4. #4DK882016-07-25 20:26

    If you block off the exhaust to egr nothing will happen. You just won't be using the egr system.

  5. #5Asmblyline2016-07-31 01:10

    Is it a dash 10 or 11. You mentioned def fluid which would make an 11. Most likely L03 by far is gonna be regen related. Definitely need those codes to know anything though.

  6. #6mattoliver802016-08-01 13:41

    I'm going to pull them codes this afternoon and I will update.

  7. #7mattoliver802016-08-01 20:07

    Ok I have a Komatsu hm400-3 that's throwing CA357 and I can't find that code anywhere also on the pc360 the code was too much water in fuel circuit. I've told them 300 times our fuel is junk. We actually just changed companies because of that too.

  8. #8BigIronGuy2016-08-01 20:24

    Matt, How many hours are on this machine? If the machine is derating then it has failed to go through a proper regen and will need a forced regen(this requires dealer support/service code). You should see 7+ soot bars which would also give that indication. L03 can be anything from excessive idle to a regen required, but it is most commonly related to your tier4 system. I am curious to hear about some of your other issues related to your Komatsu fleet as well.

  9. #9BigIronGuy2016-08-01 20:27

    Matt, the water in the fuel may also be caused by condensation build up, which has been a very serious problem with the tier4 machines because of their stringent fuel requirements. Bleeding off the tanks daily is an absolute must.

  10. #10coalrulz2016-08-01 21:05

    Matt, CA357 code on the HM400-3 is a Mass Air Flow Sensor Low Error. You may want to check wiring to the Mass Air Flow Sensor. The sensor is located on the outlet of the air filter housing. Have you cut open one the Primary/Water separator filters on the PC360? If so did you see allot of gross black looking material on the filter?

  11. #11mattoliver802016-08-01 22:10

    OK I started with this company 3 weeks ago. Here in Tennessee we have probably 25 various komatsu units,its all we use. The company ditched our old fuel company after several attempts to have them clean up there fuel....or so that's what everyone was hollering. When I started they put me after fixing this pc360 I originally posted about. It was extremely passed a service so of course the fuel filters were shot. I changed filters and it immediately ran right. It seems everything is fuel related on all theses codes. I'm familiar with the Cat,JD, and other equipment dealers but not komatsu. I'm right now trying to get everything back up to date on service right now. Most all this equipment is fairly new.... around 1000 hrs. Of course there are some older pieces with 4,5....7,000 hrs.So here I am!!! Lol. So how do I clear a fault code???

  12. #12DK882016-08-02 19:52

    T4I and T4F komatsu's have komatsu care.. At least here they are, right to 2000 hrs. Codes will clear them self once fixed, now some engine codes and emission codes need to be erased with insite.