Anyone know what this is for ? Right hand side of engine compartment when you open the cover. Looks like a dipstick and goes into a really long tube going towards bottom of engine, but only has a short piece of metal attached to it.
It is a vented cap for the damper case compartment. Komatsu has used the cap for that purpose on the large excavators. I have had people think it was the dipstick and filled that compartment completely full. The problem with that is that the oil gets hot and burns out the rear main seal in the engine and the front input shaft seal in the pump. I have a video showing how to check the oil in that compartment in smaller machines. The 490 is different because it has an external centrifugal pump to flood the pressure pump cases. I don't remember where the level plug is right now.
Thanks buddy . Good to know
Level plug for the damper case on thaat is in the pump room I think on the left hand side of the pump on the damper case, I recall it uses the same 19mm plug they all do, oil should be level to that plug.
Cheers buddy