Going to look at one tomorrow. Any experience with these machines??
I don't think I remember ever seeing a PC80. All the domestic and even the gray machines coming into the country were PC90. I'd be interested in seeing any photos you might post of the machine. If it is in fact a 1987 model then the hydraulics and electrical will be Dash 3.
I went to look at the machine today. Nice guy and I appreciated his honesty. Just wasn't the machine for me. He said that he bought it from the original owner out of New Hampshire who used it to run a firewood processor for the first 25 years of it's life. Here are two of the pictures from the guys add.
I know that Dash 3 means "PC 80 - 3" and that's about it. The controls were a series of lever rods and tie rods that apparently controlled the valves at the rear of the machine.
Lots of grease fittings under the cab at all the hinge points. It does have pilot pressure to operate the pump controls but that is it. Pretty simple machines that give nearly none of the electronic issues to come in later models. It's painted up pretty nice. Did you get a chance to run it at all? I can see in the photo that the bucket cylinder is leaking.
I did, or er, I tried.. Controls were kinda opposite from my John Deere, and the linkage was so worn that the throws were like, arms length to try and get any movement. The hydraulic pump kept squealing and the guy kept saying, "you gotta bungee cord the throttle wide open to get it to work". I had already decided that I wasn't looking for a project so I thanked him for his time.
Funny, I saw that same listing and was searching google for info on that model and came across this listing... Its hard to tell in any photos - does it have a thumb? If so, hydraulic or manual? Any other issues that jumped out at you? Im up in New Hampshire so its a little bit of a ride to go see it...but its in my price range anyway so it might be worth the trip.
I see the add's still up. He told me he had a lot of interest and expected to sell it within 24 hours...Hmmmm... Yes it has a thumb. And auxiliary hydraulics. Like I said it had some sort of hydraulically driven firewood processor on it instead of a bucket for the first 25 years of it's life. But, I cant remember if the thumb was hydraulic or manual, sorry. The bottom, pins, bushings and sprockets were in great shape due to sitting all those years. He did tell me that he had replaced one of the track tensioners a few years ago as it would not take grease. There was a lot of play in the linkage for the hydraulic controls and it looked like it had not been greased in a very long time. He said that it would freeze up some times and he carried a can of spray to loosen it up??? It might be worth the drive if you're looking for a project.