Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu PC128uu… any good?

jakepedersen ยท 2012-01-25 13:51

I am looking for an excavator for farm use. Mostly tiling and small clean up jobs. I have found a few in good shape. Are they any good? I think this model is a grey market one, but I was told i would have no problems getting parts or service. It is a 1996 model and the only problem the previous owner told me was that the computer that does some depth and grade control stuff does not work. Should I run or buy it? Also looking at a PC78 but not sure if it will be big enough... TIA

Replies7
  1. #1Drc2012-01-25 22:24

    Good machines, powerfull, but you can run into costly repairs due to the complicated sensors in offsett boom arangement

  2. #2jakepedersen2012-01-25 22:36

    The previous owner said that you had to be more careful becuase the computer doesn't work which will limit the arm travel when the boom is off set so it doesn't hit the machine. He said it never worked for him and he put around 1000 hrs on it. So you must be able to by pass or disable some of the electronics and not effect the machines use? I will very rarely, if ever, use the offset boom function. I will use my neighbors bobcat if I need to dig up next to a building. Otherwise this machine isn't a whole lot bigger then a PC78 or Bobcat 442 (neighbors machine) as far as reach and digging depths go. Its just got a lot more weight and bucket force to it. I kind of like that idea as its hardly any bigger phyically... but would weight enough that I could use it to help pull my tile plow tractor in a pinch or get things unstuck. I don't think a PC78 would be much help that way.

  3. #3Boiled Owl2012-01-26 08:02

    At the risk of hijacking your thread, and a shameless plug for me: How far over into Iowa are you? I'm selling my low houred Cat 320B used on my farm. I've decided I want a machine with Hyd. thumb for upcoming demo work and it would be ea$ier to sell/trade than to buy new parts for my hoe. It will pull that tile plow tractor! email or PM me if interested.

  4. #4jakepedersen2012-01-26 09:00

    No worries! I am actually leaning towards the Pc78 atm... I am just a bit scared of a machine that is 16yrs old and the 78 will do most everything I need. I have access to two neighbor's Deere 200 machines if the need be... Just won't be using it to help pull the plow lol.

  5. #5Boiled Owl2012-01-27 20:28

    I had to try! Crazy as it sounds, I sold mine to a local farmer/tiler today. He got 44000# of iron, and I got a little piece of paper.

  6. #6coorecat2012-01-27 20:48

    Komatsu makes real good machines, Those and Kobelco are the main excavators in our fleet.

  7. #7jakepedersen2012-01-27 21:32

    I decided to go with the PC78 instead. It will be a little easier to move, do most everything I need, and its almost 10yrs newer for the same money.