Left track rolls a ways and then hangs up. It never fully stops, but it definitely slows the machine down. It is abrupt enough that when you are tracking full speed, it shakes the operator around.
What happens if you take some pressure off of the track?
It rolls better but still sticks some. Those two videos were taken with the track in the air.
You need to stall check it. Gauges are preferred but you should hear a difference by ear when comparing the tracks with each other.
I have a gauge I will try to plumb into it. I'm assuming each tracks drive of different pumps. So just check pressure when track is blocked and lever actuated? only one track sticks, the other one runs smoothly, do i need to check it for comparison?
I personally would check pressures for both tracks for comparison purposes.
Have you checked the level plugs for magnets and lots of hair? My first thought is you have bearings starting to breakup. I have a couple of Dash 3 units in my shop right now where the main bearings separator cages broke up and got ground up in the gear works. Those were caught when the sprocket seals on both sides started leaking.
Ive watched the videos put up by John C. and wanting to set the pressures anyway, so maybe ill try to do that while the gauge is in there. The problem is that I dont see any locknut or set screw on the track controls. almost looks like just a plug in there. Maybe its a preset relief that isnt adjustable?
The reliefs for the travel motors are in the motors themselves. You can still plumb into the fittings on the pumps to watch the pressures.
Yes, I pulled the filler plug on the problem side to check fluid level and the magnet was clean. The problem just started when I unloaded at a job. I was tracking in the gate. It had tracked fine all day at the previous job. I fuddles around about an hour trying to figure out what was doing it. But ended up loading it back up and bringing it home. I dont want do any more damage than I have to. Maybe it can be fixed inexpensively if I dont keep using it like that was my thought.
The pressure checks will give you some clues. You might pick up that side of the machine and watch the end of the final drive for some movement up and down.
I'm running around town trying to have a line made to hook my gauge into what I think is a test port on output fitting. What type/size do I need?
Your gauge is 1/4" pipe and the fitting in your hand is metric. What I used to do was drill a hole through the center of that fitting and then braise a #4 JIC male adapter onto the end. I have hoses with #4 JIC female swivel fittings that I can adapt to to get the gauge on the other end. My hoses are ten foot long so I can have the gauge with me in the cab while operating the function I want to test.
my dash 5 200 ground the gears on pump shaft at about 9500hrs that and seals was all that was wrong.it was right drive,but my track just stopped, had to load with one track to get to my shop, while i had oil out rebuilt swing joint,want to go through valve under cab but have not.
yes, 8 mm by 1.25 is thread size. Finally found an adapter to 1/8 pipe. Bought 2 so I can watch both pumps
The left track the problem one is 4200 PSI the right track is 4700 PSI
I'm waiting for some videos to upload, but it looks like it's a pressure drop that stops the track. This is equipped with 2 speed tracking but that hasn't worked since I got it because the control panel isn't powering up. Could it be trying to switch speeds and causing the hesitation?
i'm trying to figure out what the travel speed solenoid valve looks like and where it is located.
Top pic is pc150 and looks easy to access. Bottom one is pc200 and is a pain to get to.
Travel solenoid is on a manifold stack with three or four others. You can follow the hose from the swivel back to the solenoid. You should lock up the track in order to test the travel circuit. I usually lock a bucket tooth into the track on the front idler and travel forward but you can do it on either end. Watching the gauges while the machine is traveling won't tell you much unless there is a huge problem. I haven't seen the travel motors fail by cycling between high and low speed. I seem to recall a Dash 5 has three travel speeds though; low, medium and high. Is that correct? I seem to recall that the motor has two speeds and the pump setting changes to get the top speed.
I used a piece of pipe in the sprocket to lock up the tracks. I got about 4200 PSI on the left and the right track is 4700 PSI. I don't think that is my issue but would like to turn up the left one a bit to make them match. I only see a low and high speed track selection on the control panel. any idea what else could cause the drastic pressure drop intermittently like that?
Could one track be in high and other bein low?
Have you checked case drain on the left side travel motor? Have you done any cycle times on the boom up function? It should be around four seconds from the ground to top out with the stick all the way out and the bucket fully open. I don't hear any grinding in the videos. Do you fell any vibration when this happens?
No vibration or grinding detected. I held my hand on final drive and idler while I had a friend operate that track in the air and it all felt smooth. I'll check cycle times, and try to check case drain on that side. It just seems weird to my that the pressure drops sharply when the track stops. If something was binding up, wouldn't the pressure rise to meet resistance?
yes I'm getting just under 4 sec.
good thinking Bls. I've unhooked travel speed solenoid and that stopped the weird hesitation, but now left track is high speed in forward but low in reverse. I get one full track revolution in 7 seconds forward and 10 seconds reverse holding track in air. The right side is 10 seconds both directions. But when it's on the ground it tracks straight both directions. Pressures are even in reverse but in forward, right track has more pressure than left track.
After more testing , I've found that if I pull the throttle back some, it will to that weird hesitation thing , seems to be trying to shift speeds. At full throttle its consistently in high one direction and low the other.
I found that the swivel is leaking from forward on right track to high speed. The left track motor looks newer than the right one. The high speed function does not seem to work on the right motor. So forward on left track was activating high speed on one side. I'm now shopping for a reseal kit for that swivel
Definitely reseal the swivel before proceeding further if you have any doubts at all regarding its internal condition.
I ordered the seals today. Should arrive sat or monday.
That sounds like good work to me. You don't have to pull the whole swivel out of the machine to be able to reseal it. You can unhook the hoses at the top section and tie them up above the tank. Unhook the link on the side to the frame. Take the four bolts out on the top cap and there is a snap ring inside. Take that out and you can pull the barrel up and out. The seals are inside the barrel. When you put the barrel back on it will be very tight. Make sure and line up the link that makes the barrel turn with the house so you can get the pin back in. I have used a heavy weight and a four by four to pound the thing back down, but if you can find a way to use a jack it might be easier. When the barrel is all the way down, the snap ring groove will be open to put the ring back in. Put the top back on, hook up your hoses and try it out. I always operated the travel functions at low idle to make sure the swivel was full of oil before trying to rotate the house. Good Luck?
I was contemplating trying that, but wondered if it was feasible. Good to know it can be done like that. Will save me working underneath getting dripped on.
Seals came in last night and I installed them today. The old seals all came out in small pieces. I had to fill up a 5 gal bucket with diesel to flush out all the pieces. After reassembly tracks have more power than ever.
Dear God, I’m amazed that the machine would even move with the swivel in that condition..!
I agree! I expected one or two broken rings. They were all in pieces like that!
Has resealing the swivel fixed your high/low speed issue.?
Sort of, it stays in low now. I have to do some troubleshooting on why high does not work.
I was wrong. I delivered it back to job site this evening and left track went back to doing its stutter step on the way in the gate. Doing it I forwards and reverse.
I’ve run some machines that would switch automatically from high gear to low if tracks got into a bind