Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu PC200 Fire

southernman13 ยท 2016-03-01 03:09

Going to look at one with a buddy. How do you determine if it's worth salvaging. At what point is it too much to rebuild. I know you can't tell without seeing it but what's a tale tale sign or what do we look for. Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1lantraxco2016-03-01 03:43

    If it needs a cab or harnesses or computers, or pumps.... for starters.

  2. #2southernman132016-03-01 06:50

    Sounds like it wouldn't take much to turn it into a parts machine. We'll find out in a day or so. Thanks

  3. #3excavator2016-03-01 12:55

    Look at how many hydraulic hoses are burnt, consider the cost of hydraulic hose and then figure the time it will take to determine where each one goes. And usually when hoses are burnt the wiring harness is burnt..... if it's your own machine and you have lots of time and don't charge for your time it might work. I've seen a number of people try but few succeed to rebuild even after a relatively small fire.

  4. #4southernman132016-03-01 15:35

    Tenfo. It's for him not me. I don't think I'd tackle anything like that. Back in the day maybe but I'm older and not as ambitious as I once was. Plus anytime I think I'm saving a buck it cost me three. Hehehe

  5. #5John C.2016-03-01 21:53

    If the valve covers on the engine are melted it usually is not good to try to rehab the entire machine and it is probably time to walk in the other direction. They usually work OK for parts after a fire. I have rebuilt the main pump, swing motor and swing gear reducer. The main valve I usually won't trust if all the hoses are burned off. The carbody and slew bearing are usually OK.

  6. #6Dozerboy2016-03-02 12:03

    I wouldn't touch a Komatsu that is less then 10 years old if it had much of a fire. Their hyd systems are overly complex and can be a nightmare.