I’ve always been a Komatsu excavator owner but it’s time for an upgrade and I’m wondering the good and bad on a 2014 EC340. I’m looking at a machine with auxiliary hydraulics to run a brush mulching head. Also if anyone has any experience on disc mulching heads and preference in brands im interested in hearing everyone’s thoughts.
I'd stay away from the D in favor of an E, if you're set on a Volvo. If you're happy with Komatsu and are already comfortable with them, why not upfit your Komatsu. I'm sure your local dealer can set you up. What part of Illinois are you in?
I’m from west central Illinois near Burlington IA. The reason for a new/different machine is because ours is just old and worn out. It’s cheaper to buy a newer machine than to rebuild and add auxiliary hydraulics to our existing trackhoe.
Well, to be honest, I'd steer clear of the D models. They had a lot of emissions problems, software was getting rolled out monthly to correct. If you can find a low hour C model that hasn't been abused or a great deal on an E that would be the way to go. Now, the newer Volvos have issues as well. If you need an injector, you're replacing the cup and injector. Major undertaking requiring thousands in tooling and experience. The core machine is as solid as they get, just know they have their shortcomings. Komatsu, on the other hand, doesn't seem to suffer as the Volvos do regarding emissions, they have lesser issues with hydraulics. Certainly nothing to turn down a good offer. Engines, Komatsu wins, hydraulics, a tie. At least Komatsu valves are modular, you don't have to sacrifice an entire valve for a faulty function. Undercarriage, I gotta give it to Volvo, they seem to last. Good luck in your decision. Everyone here knows I like the Volvos but I have to admit, the Komatsus are proving their worth every day.
How new is an E, this DL I’m looking at is a 2014.
Current production
Be sure to have a look at Hyundai, very good quality machines and made not far from where Volvo are made, we have a 30 tonner and run all sorts of attachments on it including a rock crusher and more than happy with the quality!
I have an EC250Dl with 9300 hours on it that I love. I don't have any emissions issues at all with it. We just finished a project with it digging 15,000 yards of material in rocky soil, it ran like a champ and only burned a little over 300 gallons of fuel. My only complaint is that Volvo is stingy with parts databases and they think their parts are gold plated. I just had to replace the AIH solenoid, the part is $450. That's stupid.