Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu Pc300 overheating on cold start

JoseM1226 · 2019-03-13 10:35

First time poster here, I’m wondering what the solution could be in my current situation. My pc300 has a overheating warning right after startup and after being tracked down a couple of feet. Changed the water temp sensor and as of right now don’t have any ideas what could it be since the machine doesn’t even do any hard work and starts “overheating”. Any help is welcomed.

Replies6
  1. #1GregsHD2019-03-13 10:47

    I ran into a similar situation on a PC200-6, the engine wiring harness ran down the side of the block, harness rubbed through a clamp and shorted the coolant temp wire to ground, causing full hot on the gauge. The operator swore it was overheating, it was like arguing with a priest!

  2. #2JoseM12262019-03-13 14:10

    I’ll give that a shot, thanks

  3. #3jonno6342019-03-13 14:35

    I’d verify it really is overheating (checking wiring as mentioned is one way), an IR temp gun could be used to verify. If it is hot, thermostat, water pump, plugged radiator (internal or external), etc.. If it really is NOT hot, then wiring, sender (as u changed it already, doesnt mean its good), bad ground, bad gauge... But need to know first, if it really is HOT. Also, is it an idiot light saying hot, or a gauge that shows temp saying hot? Does it have both? Sorry, not familiar with that model.

  4. #4JoseM12262019-03-19 09:49

    It’s both the temperature gauge and a “hot coolant temp” warning but I know for a fact it’s not overheating. No way it would be doing so not even 2 minutes after a cold start up. I still have not gotten a chance to check the wiring harness to see if it could be some false contact.

  5. #5jonno6342019-03-19 10:59

    Actually its possible it could overheat, but not likely. If the water pump is not moving any water, the block could overheat pretty quickly to cause a buzzer and gauge. I’d lean towards wiring as usually 2 different sensors are used for the gauge and the light (unless its ran thru a computer).

  6. #6jonno6342019-03-19 19:34

    FYI - my JD excavator, looks like if the level is low it also turns on the high temp idiot light also. So, it may be able to be a wire also (but didnt notice anything with the gauge).