Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu PC300LC-3 Question

alandudley · 2020-04-15 02:42

This ought to be an easy one for you guys. I am looking at purchasing a PC300LC-3 and noticed that there are two dummy hoses coming out of the pump and just dead end into a plate. The reason I noticed them is they are both leaking and since it looks like they do not go anywhere I was wondering about just capping them off although I am sure there is a reason for them such as damping or maybe something else. Can anyone advise please? Thank you, Alan

Replies8
  1. #1funwithfuel2020-04-15 06:55

    You answered your own question. Yes, those are for surge suppression. They act as accumulators. Not something you just want to have made up. I would replace with factory. Unless it's just the o-ring, then just service it like any other connection. Can you attach a pic? Just for verification purposes.

  2. #2Vetech632020-04-15 07:30

    FWF should post more often. Whos with me!?

  3. #3John C.2020-04-15 11:14

    funwithfuel is correct. The factory hoses used to have a dead flange on one end. Check yours when you take them off as the standard flanges with the O rings may not want to seal well on the mounting plates if that is the case. Komatsu calls them snubbers and they just provide some extra swell factor to soften the hydraulic spikes. You can run without them for a bit to get by but it will shorten the life of the main hoses going to the main valves.

  4. #4Coaldust2020-04-15 16:05

    I called them frame oilers, because that’s what they looked like. Lol. Customers would make their own from whatever bulk hose they stocked and wonder why they immediately leaked or burst. Those things have to be smookum. Like John C, suggested. Always best to go OEMwith those. They take a lot of abuse. And, empty a hydraulic reservoir in flat-no seconds. I haven’t seen a -3 in who-knows-how long. They just kinda disappeared.

  5. #5alandudley2020-04-15 17:17

    Hey thank yall for the information and help! A friend of mine has had this one for about twenty years and used it to clean up his property. He hasn't used it any in the last several years. As a matter of fact I just finished helping him put on a new turbo because the other one had rusted under the heat shield and locked it up. It runs great and he just had the boom cylinders rebuilt and flushed out the hydraulic system. When we fired it up I noticed the two hoses leaking. They are replacement hoses he had made some years back so I am sure they are not Komatsu. One has a small hole in it and the other seems to be leaking around the crimp. Is there anything special about the hose itself since it is used as surge suppression or is it just standard hose? Has a 60" bucket and a 36" bucket. 1580 hours showing but they have probably rolled over at least once...lol. Oh and it has hammer plumbing which is good because I want to add a hydraulic thumb. I think he had a big mulcher on it at one time. Are there any tricks to using the hammer /mulcher plumbing for a thumb? UC is pretty tight also. Right now they are doing a great job at frame oiling...lol. I really enjoy this site and appreciate everyone taking the time from their busy day to help me! Alan

  6. #6funwithfuel2020-04-16 06:29

    The actual snubber hoses or dampers, whatever you want to call them. There is specific data involved with length, hose diameter, engineered swell etc etc. As mentioned, factory is best. Anything else may not "give" enough or too much. Good luck In regards to aux function, it really depends on how it was set up. Is it an HKX kit with bi-directional flow or one way? Is it factory Komatsu? Or is it someone else's aftermarket cobblings? If you could open a new thread with pics so we could see what you have, we will try and help as much as we can.

  7. #7Vetech632020-04-16 07:10

    < stills thinks FWF should post more. I gotta do something here to draw him in more................lets see, let me think here for a minute AHHHHHH..........I got it!

  8. #8funwithfuel2020-04-16 07:25

    You sir, are a bad influence. I will not be party to the shenanigans. ​