Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

KOMATSU PC40 EXCAVATOR

boathauler ยท 2021-09-20 22:44

I purchased an older Komatsu PC40 excavator and the serial number/vin plate has been removed. The machine has a three cylinder Komatsu diesel engine with 3D94 stamped in the block. It also has two cylinders that operate the blade. I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with possible years, or a serial number stamped on the machine somewhere else that I am not aware that will provide the year and whether this 3D94 engine is sleeved or has removeable liners.

Replies6
  1. #1boathauler2021-09-21 00:11

    Believe or not......one of the other items missing besides the serial number plate and cab door....was the fuel tank cap. A local Komatsu dealer told me to look around the boom area, but I do not see any stamped numbers theres. Thanks for the reply.

  2. #2boathauler2021-09-21 10:25

    I need to pin down a year or close to it. The Komatsu dealer tells me they need a serial number in order to order any parts for the machine. The engine is not running and i'm afraid has broke rings, bad pistons, or scored cylinder walls. I am pulling the engine and tearing it down to determine what is exactly wrong. I am curious if the engine, which is a 3d94-2, has sleeves or removeable liners? To answer your question, get the engine running first and then cross my fingers.

  3. #3John C.2021-09-21 11:09

    I am not familiar with a 3D94 Komatsu engine. I know they did have a 3D95 engine. They also used some Yanmar engines in the mini excavators in the past. Perhaps if you post some photos of the machine someone might be able to recognize the series designation. Something like PC40-3,5,6.

  4. #4heymccall2021-09-21 12:30

    Liners are in this kit

  5. #5boathauler2021-09-21 12:53

    Thanks for the reply Mr. John. I just saw your reply and another gentlemen posted a link with a engine kit which has liners for the 3D94 engine. I know for sure it's a Komatsu engine after removing the valve cover and seeing the Komatsu logo on the head bolts. I also located a picture of a identical machine as mine with the data plate affixed with a serial number of 6008. The data plate on this machine shows the Model as a PC40-3, 1983 year model. I contacted local Komatsu dealer and gave the serial number off the machine that is identical in looks to mine and they verified the engine does have liners and are working up a quote now for new liners, pistons, rings, wrist pin and engine gasket set. The machine I used the serial number from has the identical serial number stamped on the engine, so I think I'm on the right track. Thank you for the reply and help. I will post pictures here in the future when I start the engine removal.

  6. #6heymccall2021-09-21 23:04

    Parts manual https://en.av-gk.ru/catalog/komatsu/pc40-3c/