Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu PC45-1 Instrument Panel Dead

Rollin in CT ยท 2020-12-02 20:08

Just picked up a nice PC45-1 however the instrument panel is dead. Only thing working is the hour meter and a green light just above the hour meter. Any ideas? I could find very little info, was thinking a fuse but they all look good. Thanks !

Replies5
  1. #1John C.2020-12-03 10:41

    Is the panel turned a dark color? Do you have an articulated boom on the machine. All the early Komatsu excavators with the LCD panels were subject to burning from ultraviolet light and when it happened the display turned a magenta color and you could no longer read anything on it. If that is the case, there is no fix. You would have to replace the panel.

  2. #2Rollin in CT2020-12-03 11:02

    It's not a LCD, Has two rows of lights for temp and fuel levels and separate individual lights for pre heat, oil pressure, battery ect. Just seems weird that all are not working. Checked fuses all seem ok.

  3. #3John C.2020-12-03 11:24

    I think that is a early machine then. I believe they should all come on for a second or so when you turn the key on. Is the boom one piece or two? I think I know which panel you have then. Some could be taken off and taken apart. I used to check for burn spots on the circuit boards and sometimes the LEDs were just bad. I haven't been able to repair one though. Just confirm the bad LED as the problem.

  4. #4Rollin in CT2020-12-26 20:11

    Thanks for the response back, it was just a bad fuse ( I know check them with a meter). Last problem (hopefully) one of the blade control cables is broken between the control lever and bellcrank. I've looked everywhere for the bellcrank end of the cable, took the floorboard access covers off, looked for access covers on the bottom of the cab, looked in the manual (picture shows the bellcrank under the left control stick but it isn't there. Tried following the cables but they disappear into the floor behind the seat. Any ideas ? Thanks !

  5. #5John C.2020-12-27 00:23

    I think that the floor plate and top will tip forward giving you access to the components below.