Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu PC50UU-1 hydraulic thumb install pictures

apm ยท 2013-11-08 18:55

I posted these pictures in the other thread, but they may be hard to find because the post was not originally about a hydraulic thumb. The PC50UU-1 has a boom offset cylinder that is rarely used. I plumbed the lines for the offset cylinder into a 12V two way diverter valves "in" ports. The two outputs of the diverter go to the thumb cylinder and the offset cylinder. A simple toggle switch selects which circuit receives flow. With the switch in the "on" position, the footpedal offsets the boom. With the switch in the default "off" position the footpedal operates the thumb. The pictures show the diverter, the switch and the crossover relief intended to keep the thumb from overpowering the bucket. If you'd like to see any other views, let me know. Greg

Replies20
  1. #1thebig450es2013-11-09 10:46

    Great pictures, Thanks for sharing.

  2. #2Lil' Puss2013-11-09 20:08

    Nice job. That's the same way I plumbed my thumb, except I used my blade circuit.

  3. #3AT&SW2013-11-12 06:22

    Where did you get the relief valve for the thumb and do you recall how much ot was? Have not seen one like that. We have recently put to thumbs on machines with no relief valves and have been wanting to add them.

  4. #4apm2013-11-12 08:34

    It came from Surplus Center. I don't know if this link will work, but try this: http://www.surpluscenter.com/shop.axd/Search?keywords=crossover+relief Greg

  5. #5thebig450es2013-11-13 12:25

    apm have you ever found specs for the pc50uu-1?

  6. #6apm2013-11-13 12:49

    I've got a pdf manual that has most of the specs. What in particular are you looking for? Greg

  7. #7thebig450es2013-11-13 12:57

    dimensions, weights and flows

  8. #8apm2013-11-13 13:09

    The weight shows at 11,400 lbs. The pump is three stages. Two of the stages are the same size, the front and the center. They flow 38 liters/minute with a repair limit of 34 liters/minute. The rear stage is the smallest and operates the 3 spool valve. It flows at 26.6 liters/minute with repair limit of 24 liters/minute. Which dimensions? Greg

  9. #9thebig450es2013-11-13 13:23

    Lenght, width, height and digging reach/depth. Thank you

  10. #10AT&SW2013-11-13 16:18

    Thank you they are cheap too added bonus.

  11. #11glenlunberg2013-11-13 20:27

    Those pictures looks great. Thanks for sharing! Keep posting!

  12. #12nihon_reform2013-11-19 23:06

    Greg, Thanks a lot for the pics. Do you still have a part's list for the set (including hose lengths)...?

  13. #13apm2013-11-22 09:53

    No, sorry, don't have a parts list. I got everything at Surplus Center in one shot, including the cylinder. Greg

  14. #14MrFuso2013-11-22 12:10

    Looks great! Now lets see that baby in action!

  15. #15dakuch2013-11-27 09:41

    Do you have the info on the valve that you used to split the 2 systems. Have machine also with offset boom. Like the electric valve set up Part# and source where purchased?????? Would be great help. Homemade thumb too? Thanks

  16. #16apm2013-11-27 09:57

    This is a link for the valve I used. There are manual ones available from here as well. http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydrau...-2-GPM-SAE-8-DOUBLE-SELECTOR-VALVE-9-7852.axd The thumb is homemade. 5/8" steel. If I were to do it over I'd put a little more "hook" in the shape. I may still modify this one. It works great on smaller stuff, but bigger logs and rocks would be easier with more hook. Greg

  17. #17dakuch2013-11-27 10:18

    Thanks for info, planning to add a thumb over winter. Have machine close to yours EX40UR.

  18. #18apm2013-11-27 10:21

    You'll wonder how you ever got along without it! Greg

  19. #19backwoodsman2013-11-27 14:25

    I have a similar set up on my offset boom yanmar B6-3, but mine has the diverter, switch and relief valve built together. If anyone is interested, the valve is made by Rexroth, mod#L732C116 B100000.

  20. #20Pumpkintown2013-12-10 02:24

    I am new to the forum, just looking at thumb threads. I have just purchased a PC35 MR-2, and I think your solution for a thumb hydraulics may work for me? Maybe I could use the boom swing/foot control? Thanks for the post.