Today I talked to a rep form our Komatsu dealer. He happened to bring up moving machines since I was complaining about tearing down our 375 Cat to move it. He said that the Komatsu 650 has a similar dig depth and we could leave the stick on and counterweight on to move. Just curious if anyone was doing this? I haven't seen any 650's around here really. I haven't looked up the weights or anything but I wanted to know what you guys knew about this claim.
Depends on the state. Our Virginia branch has to drop the counterweight and stick on 345's to move them legally. In PA, the stick and counterweight come off as well as the catwalks on a 365, which would be similar to a 650.
Around here they pull the stick, counterweight, move the track frames and pull the catwalks if they are getting all the permits. Most of the owners in the area weld rings on the stick pins and keep all the caps and plugs on the machine to help with the moves.
It really comes down to what you are moving it with and the state you are moving it in. We can leagally move a D8R/T here in PA with a 4 axle tractor/3 axle trailer and our axle weights are ok. We were suppose to do some dirt work in OH and to leagally move a D8 in one piece it was going to take a 12 axle rig. OH has some crazy low axle weight laws. I dont know from experience but have heard MI is very easy to move heavy stuff. Jim, we move 345's with everything except the CW and bucket in pa with the the rig I described above and can axle the weight. Im pretty sure you guys have the same type of rigs. Are they running all VG undercarriges now? That could be the difference as we have standard.
Yeah, that's how we move our 349's in PA too. We still have a few 345's with VG undercarriages, but mostly down south, when we had them in PA it was just the counterweight and bucket as well. Depending on the trailer, I think the stick stayed on in MD as well, but they had to drop the blade on the D8's down there.
I think that 365/pc650 is to large to move in one piece even here in Michigan we have to remove the stick to them. but it comes down to what your local weight restrictions are. like here in MI we are aload 11 axles and 13000 lbs per axles.