Joined this site recently to get more insight on issues I may run into in bringing my recently purchased Komatsu up to my standards. The wiring on the machine was a mess with lots of things disconnected and wires hanging. A couple covers missing, and a few bucket dents in the cab, broken front window from the owner who disconnected the wiring. The guy I bought it from bought it as a parts machine from the guy who did all the damage to it. But he ended up needing to use it, so he removed the rubber tracks n put new steel tracks on it. As well when he bought it the hydraulic pump was toast so he put a rebuild one in it. He used it 3 years basically sitting in one spot loading a crusher for his little mining claim. So the engine starts and runs like its new, fires quick Burns clean runs smooth, all the hydraulic cylinders are in great shape with no weeping. So I decided it was worth fixing everything. Today dumped the hydraulic oil and pulled out the return filter. Noticed a minute amount of brass shavings on it. Then pulled the intake hydraulic filter/screen from the bottom of the tank and found the bottom 1/4 inch of the filter jammed with brass shavings around the outside. See picture. 2 questions 1- is it possible that this material came from the first time the pump went out and it's worked its way here? 2- what components would be going bad that would have brass in them? Found a very very small amount of steel dust on the drain plugs magnet. The machines hydraulic functions have all seemed normal speed with full power and no strange noise. I have only run the machine about 4 hours since purchasing. Thanks for any input!
If the functions of the machine are working normally I would guess the brass was from the original pump. Sources of brass in an older Komatsu can be the pump, swing motor or travel motors. I would suggest shining a light into the tank looking for more of the shiny stuff.
John C. Thanks for that info. I did look in the tank and there was some brass in there. Not a lot, so it's all been cleaned out now. I will look at each of the components mentioned as I go thru this.
Update Pulled all hoses and fittings off the two pumps and inspected as far in as I could see. No Brass, No metal of any kind, looked good n clean! So replaced all o rings, and hoses going to and coming from the pump. Worked on replacing all the fuel lines in the fuel system today, a couple were original, and were so brittle they broke when removing. Also starting to replace radiator hoses, found one that matched top one at Napa, correct shape after cutting 6 in off one end. The lower ones 2 diameter, that one may have to be Komatsu ordered. Also put a new alternator on as the old ones bearing were shot. Bought the new one from Jensales. Was not correct, but was close and pulleys lined up. Just had to machine a couple bushings to reduce the hole size, and make a strap to extend the adjuster. The one that was on was actually not correct either, it fit the mounting correct, but was a full belt width off in alignment. Explains the bearings and the really shot belt.