K2 mine in Kearl Lake recntly took delivery of a Komatsu PC8000-6, Found it while browsing, not sure of any details about the mine etc. Heres a vid of it in operation. YouTube - PC8000 003 Photos are not mine, they belong to Mike from Flickr
boy those road barrels sure do look small!!
considering the cylinders look to be bigger then the barrels!!!!!!!!!! wonder how much hydraulic oil it needs
The hydraulic oil tank holds 8350 ltr (2,205 U.S. gal) and the hydraulic system requires a total of 11500 ltr (3,040 U.S. gal).
Kearl has sure changed alot since i worked up there with lgp cats sno cats and coring rigs
It may have changed a bit since the last time you were there but the winter programs still around. I found out Friday we got the contract for 2000+ km of winter road and around 400 leases for core holes. I head up mid November to start brushing for the camp they want to put out in the bush for us. Largest winter program I will have been on.
It was ok work up there i didnt mind it at all. Contactor sucked to work for tho
I helped put those 793s together.
boy thats some big iron
who is doing the mining work
K2 mining a div of klemke so im told
Whats in their current mining fleet, anyone know?
K2 is a joint venture between Kiewit and KMC Mining. Funny you should ask, we had this very discussion last night. I'll try and get the actual numbers, but I can give a rough idea of what models they have up there right now. I know there is a 5130B, a 5110B, EX1900, PC8000, 793D trucks, 777 trucks of various series, lots of D10T and R dozers, a fleet of 657 scrapers, and so on and so forth. Bear in mind, this is not their mining fleet, they are in the early stages of development for the site. There are still a couple years of dirt work and plant construction to do before they start operations.
kearl is going to be a busy place the next few months with the winter program hojay mentioned
Nice pics Chris! What's the purpose of the road barrels anyway? I assume it's an aid for judging distance or help aiming or whatever but exactly who is using them and for what?
I think it's a center load aid? Or an aid for the truckdriver to get it lined op the right way? I wonder what's your opinion on the right angle of the back of the bucket? Alco? Chris? Looks good to me what the pc8000 operator is doing when discharging the bucket.
It looks like those cylinders are leaking. Is this a brand new machine?
The cones hanging from the bucket cylinders are for the truck drivers to use as a reference when spotting themselves to be loaded. It just makes it easier and faster since they are in the ideal spot for the shovel operator. I'm not sure what you are asking about for the bucket angle. If you want to elaborate on what you would like to know, I'd be happy to try and answer for you. Yep, it was a brand new machine at the end of last winter. They do appear to be weeping a bit, but nothing worth worrying about yet.
How does it compare to your shovel Alco
I think I know what you mean, so here goes... If you notice when they go to empty the bucket they dont simply open the clam but instead at the same time retract the bucket cylinders to dump the bucket so it actually appears to "spread" symmetrically. Appart from the style of the operator, I can think of only one reason for doing this. Faster cycle times. By doing this, once the bucket is empty it is fully curled forward ready to engage into the face for the next bucket. Why not do it after you have emptied the bucket? Because it would be alot slower, you can only have four functions at once for example clam close, stick in, boom down, slew right - you would have to wait for the clam to close before you could then curl the bucket. Hope this answers your question
Yup that's what i meant :drinkup
And of course it helps to centre the payload in the body of the truck by eliminating the "jumping" effect of the payload caused by the curvature of the backboard.
If you figure he went to the truck with the bucket angle where it ends up when he opens the clam a lot of material would be spilling out the front, his technique for dumping is what i have seen on many faceshovels. There a big puppy the 8000 but when you light em up you just have to walk away, seen 2 burnt to the ground in Australia.
It dwarfs the shovel I usually run. I haven't had the opportunity to get behind the sticks of a PC8000 yet, but would jump at the chance. Bear in mind, the one I run is 16 years old, and has almost 99 thousand hours on her.
Hi, I'm new here.. It's really nice pic
On the topic of PC8000's, Kumba Iron Ore's Sishen Mine in Kathu, South Africa has recently purchased an PC8000-6 with a 47m³ bucket (works out to be about 82.25± a few tons depending on how heaped your bucket is with a clay material specific gravity of 1.75) and over the next 5 years another two 8000's along with 80 new Komatsu 860E's :eek2 Heres the article for anyone remotely interested! On another note, cant find any info on their current mining fleet but it must be pretty big "Sishen Mine is one of the world’s seven largest open pit mines, and is the site of several mining world records", and only going to get bigger. Here's their website. Anyone got any info/pics to share about Sishen!?
my uncle worked there when it started
OK, I understand what you mean now. One of the main reasons to roll the bucket back to open the clam, then roll it forward as the clam opens is to lessen the stress applied to the clam itself. When you try to open the clam with the bucket rolled all the way back, the weight of the material in the bucket makes it harder to open the clam, as it is all having to be lifted with the lip as the clam opens. By rolling the bucket back, the majority of the material is resting on the back of the bucket, so there is less weight on the lip that you have to overcome to open things up. Now, rolling the bucket forward as the clam is opened helps to drop the load into the box, as opposed to letting it slide off of the back of the bucket which throws the material across the box. By curling the bucket forward, you are able to drop the material closer to the middle, and don't have to pull back with later buckets to get the material closer to the side of the box you are on. Hope that makes a bit of sense.
Hey guys I know this is an older thread, but here's the equipment list at the K2 Mining Kearl Lake project last time I had a look: PC 8000 shovel 1 1900 Hitachi exc. 2 1800 Hitachi exc. 5 1250 Komatsu exc. 1or2 800 Komatsu exc. 1 Cat 5130B exc. 2 Cat 5110B exc. 2 Cat 385 exc. 2 Cat 365 exc. 8+ Cat 345 exc. And numrous smaller excavators 6 793D's 40+ 777's 4 773's 4 769's Numerous 35 and 40 ton articulated haul trucks 6 Cat 657F scrapers 2 24M Graders 8 16M's 2 16H's 2 16G's 2 14H's 1 D11R Dozer 2 D11T's 8+ D10T's 2 D10R's 2 D10N's 2 D9T's 2 D9R's 12+ D8's of various models 4 D7's 8+ D6's of various model 4 D5's 3 D3's Also heard we are expected to get a 4000 shovel,18 more 793's and a Cat 992K loader and possibly more excavators and support equipment next year?
I think its a 993K. Also some word on 797s for 2011.
Ok where do I sign on? :canada
I would ask what they are mining there, but apparently its an "iron" mine. I swear the local CAT dealer must jump for joy when an order comes in!
Its an oil sands mine under development. They are currently stripping and another order of equipment is being processed as we speak.
Wow, I thought our 2000 was a beast lol Great photos! :cool2
holey cow that's sure some iron:notworthy:notworthy
That boggles my mind!
now that is a nice bit of kit
And I use to wonder why I couldn't get discount for buying a duck :beatsme seems I was a few $M short on the order
hey this is old now i guess, i currently run this machine the 8000 we also have a 5500 hitachi now aswell! we are into second phase of kearl
Wecome Chad! I watched them build that EX5500 when it was new and belonged to Cross. I sent you a PM with a couple questions.
are they hiring at kearl?
The barrels are used as a guide for the haul truck driver so that he can spot the truck at the best distance away from the shovel for accurate dumping. The idea is to park the truck parallel to the two barrels and about 0.5 metre away. That way the shovel gets to drop the load perfectly in the centre of the truck.
Just to clarify, you actually want the cones to roll along the side of the dumpbody. Placing them half a meter from the truck puts you about a half meter too far away.
I was browsing the machinery list, when the D3s popped to my attention. What in the heck do they do with tinker toys on such a project?
Cleaning out the tracks and dirt stuck in the bed.
I'd guess all three are LPG's and used to grade the containment cells for the processed sand. They're easier to pull out than a 6, that's for sure.
Keep in mind, this list is of some of the equipment used in the construction of the plant and site. This is not the mining production equipment, though some of the larger equipment will be used for mining later on. The D3s would be for work around the plant, grading pads and such. Just like you would find on any large industrial construction sites. The cell cats wouldn't be any smaller than a D7. Most likely D8 size, as D6 or smaller dozers have proven themselves wholly inadequate for tailings work.
Yep our tailings fleet consists of about 150 Komatsu D85s & LGP D8s. Apparently up here is the only place in the world that Cat lets the big shoes go on D8s. A Caterpillar rep told up that last month when they were up detailing the new undercarriages for us mechanics.
I'd love to see an LGP D8, I've definitely never ran across one.
They use them at the sandfill operations at the end of the dredgerspipe for years overhere.. The first I ran across was in 2007 and was a D8T. But the firm has a D8R too. See if i can dig up a pic.. Didnt find a pic fast.. So THIS has to do. This is the dozer I talked about.
There has been a D8T LGP thread here before here is the link. I found this on youtube, there are more photos online if you Google. Appears Europe has the D8 LGP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_xpRRrysks
Found it! It was brand new
Sooo mean looking!
reminds me of the old pontiac commercials... wider is better.
Anyone else notice that the LGP version has a solid track frame, instead of the suspended version on the standard model? They also do that for the landfill version of the D-8's. They are great in their environment, but will beat themselves and the operator if taken out of the soft squishy stuff.
I'm assuming you meant 15 cell cats. I think you'd have a hard time finding 150 cell cats up here if you added up all the operations into one combined number. As for the LGP on D8s only being allowed by Cat in the one area, they openly list the LGP option in the brochure as an option, so I don't think that's correct.
i think your right this kind of crap banter normally comes from the cat salesman in the area who starts rumors like this to get people talking about cat, and how "great" cat is ment to be ,in 2007 my local sales man told me a cat would dig all day long, so i told him i have hitachis that dig all day every day, he was unimpressed, another hoax created by cat salesmen in the sheer demand on machines, i was told i would be waiting upto 18 months for a new 323dl at the time ,so i bought a komatsu pc210lc that same day i even cheekly made the call to komatsu while i was talking to the cat salesman. he rang me the following morning to tell me he could supply me with 2 cats strait away , however the price had been jacked up , it was just a gimmik so the meaning of this post from my own dealings with cat and their myths ,is DONT swallow a word they say, lgp machines are available world wide!
cjplanthire, The conversation was specifically about D8s with System 1 undercarriage with LPG tracks . They have standard sideframes. Tailings was the only application they wanted them working in. Now I don't purchase or spec out anything. I strictly fix. But I do know that Caterpillar uses oilsands locations as a proving ground for new technology. If it survives oilsand it will work anywhere. Alco, our komatsu tailings fleet is much much larger than the cats, but combined I'm pretty sure they're over 100. I can find out for sure though.
We've just started converting all the D8s to System 1 undercarriage, but all the new ones incoming this year are already System 1. needs to be converted to system 1 still
Your right JDOFMEMI, that's really strange as it does look like there is non suspended U/C on that D8. Every tailings Cat up north and LGP version I have ever seen or heard about has boogie U/C. That is the first I have seen and I'm not sure what spec that one is.
this is System 1 undercarriage D8 with 38" tracks. recoil side frames. alligator style master link.
For starters, if you're talking specifically about System 1 undercarriage, then you need to mention that...at least somewhere. If you're saying you are sure you have over 100 cell cats, then I am afraid you are sadly mistaken. I'm well aware that there are more machines in the tailings fleet than cell cats, but you stated "Yep our tailings fleet consists of about 150 Komatsu D85s & LGP D8s.", and I can tell you for certain that it does not. Big Ben, Funny you should mention that. Up until the latest machines, it was quite rare to see a cell cat with a bogie undercarriage. I used to run them, and every one I was around had fixed bottom rollers, until they started to get the new Ts.
You are very right I over estimated badly. There are far less komatus than I thought. system 1 is what I was talking about when the cat liaison was saying they only wanted lpg d8s with system 1 in tailings up here.
That makes sense that it's with System One only. I wonder if it's because they don't like the twisting forces applied by the wide pads? I'd really like to see more of System One, seems like a pretty slick setup.