Id like to hear from folks that have experience with the Komatsu 250 loader transmission operation. I have a Volvo L70B that I'm needing to replace. The Komatsu 250-6 is one that I'm considering. However, I understand that the Komatsu is hydrostatic where the Volvo is esentially a 4 speed automatic. I want to know the performance differences between the two. Does the Komatsu "shift" or how does the 4 speed switch work in those? Do they not have a torque converter? I use the loader alot in the winter, I'm concerned with the operation when it's cold. I know how slow the hydraulics are when it's below Zero out, and I'm concerned that the hydrostatic drive would be horrible in the cold. And I know the powershift is sluggish in the cold, I just want to be away of the differences. Also, how about durability / repair comparisons. Any help would be great.
Looking at the specs. it should have auto shifting. No torque converter. Have to let it warm up in cold weather but with the proper fluid should work fine. Thousands of skid steers with hydrostatic transmissions work clearing snow in the coldest temps. without any issues.
So do they actually shift, or is there 4 ranges with “infinite “ speed in each range. I have a skidsteer that is that way. Another question is, how does the throttle work on them? Do you set the engine speed and then your forward and reverse is controlled by your foot? Or is it like other loaders that you control speed with the “accelerator”. I know these sound like dumb questions, but I’m trying to learn.
While I can appreciate the idea of sticking with old iron, parts availability is gonna bite you in the ***, should the need arise. Several mfrs have stopped supporting the older "legacy" machines. Just be aware that the cost savings on a used machine may result in getting left stranded in the near future. That said, there are rumors circulating about emissions equipment and the EPAs new lack of teeth. You may want to wait a bit to see if you can legally purchase a deleted machine. At this point, it's all 100% rumor.
Probably best to read up on them. You might find an operators manual online. I'd guess it would have a normal throttle pedal to control speed but not sure.
so I’ve never had a problem getting the older Volvo parts. It might take a while, but they’re available. Am I to understand that Komatsu stuff is hard to get? And a machine under 10 years old is out of the question. This new crap is outragesly overpriced, and it’s not just the emissions garbage that’s a problem. All the electronics is as much as or more of a problem than the emissions stuff. The whole industry needs to go back to making a line of equipment that are simple and reliable. In case you haven’t noticed, low hour 20 year old stuff is outselling used machines only a few years old.
I think it would depend on a particular machine as far as parts. I'm sure Komatsu has parts for most 10 year old machines.
You can get parts for wa250-6 they're a solid little loader, if it's not in stock Komatsu Japan will make the parts. Only failures you see with these is high hours like 14-20k on the pumps and the hst can get a bit tired but a tune up fixes that, Komatsu doesn't state how to do it but it is possible and has them push like little weapons again. Only other failure is the transfer case output shaft bearings, have only seen this on people driving them on the hwy for 2-3hrs straight at top speed In 40c + weather as the cooler is only some pipe and it'll cook the output shaft bearings, very rare. Otherwise solid loader, no real faults honestly, their powertrain is very dependable. It does have fake shift points, drives very well and smooth, I like them but I don't operate day to day just a fitter
Marcrus, can you explain the shift points, are those just pre-set hydrostatic drive characteristics, or is there changes in the gear ratios in the loaders transfer case?