Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

KOMATSU WA380-5 oil levels

Paul Six ยท 2014-11-23 05:17

We have a KOMATSU WA380-5 year 2004 , 5000 hours , it is out on rent for small cleaning jobs in a cement factory . We regulary inspect and maintain the machine , our problem is that the engine oil level seems to go up and the transmission oil level goes down , there is no external oil leak. Can anybody help ?

Replies1
  1. #1John C.2014-11-23 13:00

    I recall several Komatsu loaders having transmission pumps leaking through the shaft seal into the gear train on the back of the engine. I don't know what kind of pumps this machine has but used to see aluminum body gear pumps on all Komatsu wheel loaders. Those pumps were only good for around 5,000 hours when problems would start to show up. The aluminum bodies would not last very long after a rebuild. The shaft support bushings would start to turn in the aluminum case letting the gears bite into the case cavity and throw metal through out the system. As I recall the smaller models were a bugger to get out from under the cab.