Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komptech Crambo

MattB · 2024-10-03 11:24

Has anyone heard of removing every other or every third tooth on a Crambo so it can take a bigger bite? I think I read that somewhere but I can’t remember where. I’ve run a Crambo once and some large diameter logs just spun between the rollers. (To be fair the machine was set up for grinding shingles not wood. The teeth were really dull.) I’m trying to get a really, really course output for rapid throughout of an air curtain burner that augers out biochar. We’re breaking down 5’ diameter Valley Oak with invasive beetles.

Replies2
  1. #1Plebeian2024-10-05 08:10

    I saw one youtuber in the UK, parked an old Komptech they were using and changed to an Italian woodchipper instead for wood chips for heating. Crambo 5000 with 9 inch screens for biochar. Bandit years ago added to their knife options in the horizontal grinders to make finer chips for biofuel. Recycler cutter mill knife (looking for the other knife option illustrations) One might use one of the hydraulic drive cone/ spiral log splitters - eterra etc. or Westtech wood cracker W (or just log grapples with sharp tongs) to feed split logs into the crambo.

  2. #2MattB2024-10-05 09:40

    That video with the Crambo was my project in 2012. I’m running the bobcat. What were the chances of you picking that video?! We were running 12” screens. Im trying to get even bigger chunks than in that project.