I just discovered that one of my tracks is stuck in high range. Anyone else ever had this problem? I'm thinking it must be a valve stuck open sending more oil to that drive motor. I plan on calling the dealer in the morning, but thought someone might have some helpful info.
Hello Mud Duck, I as well as our company in Brisbane have seen quite a few of the KX121 drives over the years. They aren't really prone to many Hydraulic motor problems, especially the symptoms you are describing, for more trouble shooting ideas try giving Murray a call at Travel Motors Direct in Brisbane. He can help you get to the bottom of it smartly. We have some parts and new units for these also.
Thanks for the reply. I did get this fixed. The problem was a little valve that moves up against a spring when high range is selected, the spring should push it back when low is selected. It appears that something caused it to stick. I suspect that since I rarely use high range, a bit of rust started to form. I run steel tracks on this machine and just hate high range. Maybe I'm stupid, but I just don't feel that steel tracks should be turning that fast. Lesson learned though, use high range on occasion if for no other reason than to keep things lubes up. I tried cleaning it, but couldn't quite get it. I took it to the dealer & their guys buffed both the piston & the cylinder, it seems to be working fine now. These are great machines, at 2500 hrs this is the only trouble I've had. The dealerships shop foreman told me that if they had to survive on repair work alone they'd never make it. Quality machines.