I just picked up a Kubota KH 191 (6ton) that was sitting fully disassembled (main control valve removed) for 10 years and I am planning on getting it back together and fully operational. I am looking for advice on how far to go with the cleaning and rebuilding of pumps/lines and what not while the machine is still fully apart so that I dont destroy the pumps/cylinders instantly upon starting it. I have alot of experience fixing/rebuilding trucks/vehicles but only limited experience fixing/rebuilding skidsteers/mini excavators so any help/advice is very appreciated. The machine has the cab, fuel tank, hydro tank, and main valve block removed. The story that I got was that it had a bad hydro leak when the lock out was disengaged so the P/O took it apart to get the main control valve out and took it to a hydro repair shop and they told him there was nothing wrong with the control valve. At that point he lost motivation to reassemble it. (He had lots of machines on his property in various states of disrepair). The main control valve was sitting on top of the disassembled machine, in a weather tight rubbermaid with plastic plugs on all of the ports. The Machine itself was tarped quite well with 2 layers of tarps sitting on top of a box spring mattress to keep the water from pooling and the tarps had been replaced a few times over the years leaving the machine completely rust free and from the looks of it not water damaged. Although all of the hydro, coolant, and fuel lines where left uncapped which does worry me. The cab, hydro tank, and fuel tank were just sitting outside uncovered, but they are in pretty good shape. Although I will be cleaning the interior of the tanks. In my mind the issue/leak is in the pilot system side but my current plan is to just clean everything as much as I reasonably can and put it back together first to see what the actual problem is rather than chase my tail with second hand information from 10 years ago. Once the machine is back together and running I will then be able to properly diagnose what the original problem was and fix what ever was leaking. Any advice other than just cleaning the tanks, cycling the cylinders with my CTL to push as much fluid out as I can. Then changing all the fluids in the machine and firing it up? I know this may sound crazy to some but I have a lot of work to do on my property and I cant afford to spend much on a machine. I am capable of fixing almost anything so figured I'd give it a shot. I just bought a non-op 3 ton mini, fixed it up/rebuilt it and sold it for a good profit so I am no stranger to a large project. Thanks for making it this far into my novel and I look forward to any advice! Mike Pics of it being loaded up for attention
Or if anyone has any photos or videos of machine with the cab or floor panels off that would be super helpful as I have the workshop manual but would be great to actually see the layout of all the components/hoses.
Unless it got rained in, you don't need to go crazy cleaning it. Even water is not that big a deal. A few fluid changes will get it out. I think your plan is sound.
Be glad it's a smaller machine and you don't need a hoist to lift everything.
Honestly I think your approach makes sense. Since the valve block was capped and the machine stayed pretty dry all those years, I’d mainly focus on cleaning and flushing everything really well before startup instead of rebuilding pumps right away. Clean the tanks, flush the lines as best you can, replace the filters and make sure the pumps get primed before firing it up. I’d probably get it back together first too instead of chasing a 10 year old diagnosis. Could easily end up being something simple in the pilot system or just a blown hose under the valve block. After you get it running, I’d run it gently at first and then change the filters again pretty soon after just to catch any junk that gets stirred up. Sounds like a pretty solid save honestly, especially for a 6 ton machine.
Figured id give an update. Got the machine cleaned out, the belly was full of up to 4" of dirt/hydro sludge, and the supply line had some dead mice floating in it. Cleaned out all open lines as best as I could and put everything back together, turns out the previous owner must have just had a loose fitting or line. The machine runs great and operates great with no leaks other than a rusted hard line on a travel motor down in the track frame, but it looks like that was due to rust from sitting and not a old leak. Pins and bushings are tight on it and it has good power. Hour meter says 1980 but it does not work but based on wear I think it has around 2200. The electrical was completely torn apart and the previous owner had it running on one wire to the lift pump. I patched all the oem wiring together and everything works as it should after a few new solenoids and relays. Over all a major score now to just order some glass for the cab, find a new tach cable and it should run for many many more years for me.
A very good job/save Do you maybe have a few pics of the machine assembled?