I'm an owner operator with a 2009 kx080-3 wich was bought new. Machine currently has 9200hrs. It's been basically trouble free except for the odd thing here and there. Maintenance has been rigorous. Engine oil and final drives every 250 hr. Hydraulic oil and filter 500hrs. I can say with complete certainty that it's been the best machine I could ever ask for. I'm now at a crossroad. With it approaching 10000hrs, I'm thinking of buying a new 80-4. I just don't know anything about DPF. I run my machine at half throttle most times. At this rpm it sips fuel and my Hydraulic pump will last considerably longer. Can a new machine be ran this way without having regen issues? And can the -4 do 10k hrs with major issues? Any information would be greatly appreciated as I'm a little nervous of getting rid of my -3.
I don’t have one but I’m interested in what you find as well. That’s incredible you’ve had that kind of service out of your current machine!
I've replace undercarriage twice, rebuilt both final drives. That's when I realized oil needs to be replaced frequently and not by kubota's recommended intervals. Serpentine belts twice. Just did pins and bushings at 8800hrs on the bucket and blade... and they weren't even that wore out.
It's my understanding new diesels fuel use is based on the load on the motor not RPM speed and the emissions systems work best when run at full throttle.
Bought a new KX 057-5 with cab recently and it is really nice. Was reluctant to buy a tier 4 too. First cold start of the day I let it idle at least 5-10 mins. This winter I plan on letting it idle a little longer. Then run at 1800-1900 rpms. When getting out to run chainsaw maybe 2 or 3 mins at a time, I drop it back to idle. So far 80 hours and no regen.
I have a U55-4 Kubota (49 hp) that has DPF. My understanding is that DPF is really a soot filter (traps carbon particles) that is used in combination with a DOC (Diesel Oxidation Catalyst) to meet emission standards that hit engines above 25hp and below 75hp. The DPF needs to be burned out occasionally through regeneration. If you're running at higher engine speeds you likely won't notice the regeneration cycle. At 3/4 throttle I've hit a warning signal that says "exhaust temp rising okay to continue to operate"--meaning that regeneration is taking place. Once I ran a week at lower engine speeds with a lot of idling (moving and holding logs for chain sawing) and then the excavator system required full throttle sitting for about 10 min. to regenerate. I've read that DPF is one of the most reliable systems for long-term emission reduction. So, most often the regeneration occurs automatically during normal operation without the operator even knowing. In some cases, though, the machine may require a parked regeneration as I noted above, which requires the machine to be stationary for a short period of time while the machine completes a thorough cleaning (regeneration) to restore the effectiveness of the exhaust filter. This has only occurred on my rig at start-up. I get a message that says: "Increase engine speed to full throttle. Wait for DPF regeneration to complete." My work has never been interrupted once I've started the day. I was really concerned about regeneration since I live in a heavily wooded, high fire danger area. So, I started carrying a fire extinguisher in my cab...just in case. Also, I just use an excavator personally on my acreage. I'm not a commercial operator. Those guys running DPF fitted equipment may have a different view that has more value to your circumstance. Best, Allan
Thank you for the very thorough explanation. I'm also owner operator using only on my property / acreage. So, what you are saying is, that a regen can happen without any notification on the instrument panel? At 94 hrs. now and no beeping, lights, or notifications of any kind pertaining to a regen for my machine. Everything is running perfect and I'm happy. I'm new to all the tier 4 stuff.
My understanding is that our Kubota's go through a regeneration process when the DPF back pressure sensor reaches a certain limit. Then an adjusted fuel and exhaust gas mixture passes through the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC) creating temperatures high enough to burn off the accumulated soot. Depending on your usage (what RPM you run at and the kind of work you do) regeneration occurs more frequently on machines that run cooler at lower speeds. I do think that a blinking panel light will always occur when regeneration kicks in just so that you know it is occurring. In some circumstances (like me in a heavily wooded fire-prone area) we may want to cancel regeneration (there is a switch on your controls to do so) until in a location safer for potential sparks/hot diesel exhaust gases. Regeneration has only occurred on my machine over the last 200 hrs three times. One time it occurred on start-up and I needed to throttle up the machine for 15 minutes before I could start my day. I think a typical regen cycle is only 20 minutes. I understand that it is much longer (up to 90 minutes) on some other brands of machines. All of this said, there are many experts on this site that should rein in soon with greater info and knowledge.
Had my first regeneration at 123 hours! Can't believe it took so long, but that's fine with me. Only lasted 15 minutes.
Anyone else having problem with 080-4? Looking at one now with 7000 hours.
Anyone else having problem with 080-4? Looking at one now with 7000 hours.
I'm just about to turn 10,000 hrs on mine. Regular oil changes and maintenance every 250 hrs. I don't know if it's a testament to a non dpf engine....?
I have a 2008 kx080-3 with 4400 hrs. No trouble yet. I was curious as to which hydraulic oil you were using. I am in South Mississippi so we go from 100+ summer to 30 in the winter. I have been using Shell Tellus VX68 which from my understanding has a wide temp range. Thanks and glad your machine has done well for you.
I always used ISO 32 from April. I think the trick is to change your oil and filter frequently. My intervals are 500hrs filter and 1000 oil.