We are thinking about getting one, I was just wondering if anyone has or ran one before? Any good? Do you find it strong and fast? Anything you like or dislike. Will it load a tandem or tri axle truck or does it have a hard time? Thanks.
A good friend of mine has one (not a make-believe "interwebs" friend, a real friend). I have run it on a few occasions - it is incredible. Fast, but smooth - the hydraulic system is as good or better than any Komatsu. Its a true hero-maker. My friend has a VERY tall Canadian bodied Mack triaxle that the Kubota will load very well. You will have to move once to load evenly, but it is not a stretch at all - remember these things have all the reach because the boom is mounted forward. I believe also, that the Kubota does not burn diesel......you fill that tank, darn if you didn't make about 5 thousand bucks before its below a quarter. Go try it out for rent - you'll see.
The 080 is supposed to be a top of the line machine. I would like to hear more opinions about the Kubota 080 and Tak 175. Looking at mulching with a FAE or similar head maybe 32" wide. Anyone know how much extra it costs to add the hi-flow?
Check mine out under ' sneak preview' on here. I have just bought an Osma flail head and would also welcome any Hi Flow information. I have just put it to work and it is a real quality machine, a bit slow for me but so smooth on the controls. Fuel consumption is nothing short of unbelievable considering it would do most of a 13 tonners work. Completely biased but I honestly chose it because it's top of the class when it comes to build quality.
Sounds good so far! Eddie I have been following your thread quite close, really nice set up you have. Hope it works out for you.
Hi guys, I don't own a Kubota KX080 but rather operate one on a daily basis. TOP little machine - I usually operate CAT 320LC and up - it does everything asked of it and am quite surprised by its power and reach. I'm 6'2 and can comfortably sit in the cab. It has to be said for my perspective the armrests are a real pain - wrist rests would have been a better option - but i'm only operating not paying for it. Just my 2 cents worth for now.
I've rented a few. I'm 6'-2" and have plenty of room in the cab. It's all around a winner. The most features vs. the comp. and way less $$. My only complaint is it doesnt have the 'jam' like the smaller Kubota's, though it's smooth as can be. I know a lot of Kubota owners - they dont break and everyone loves em.
I used to run a KX081 and load semi end dumps no problem. Very nice machine with steel tracks, thumb and blade and oh, a side shift boom for those tight spots.
So we ended up buying a 2008 Kubota KX080 with 235hrs. Seems to be a real nice machine. I have not had a chance to really try it out as it is winter and work is slow this time a year. It came with Hyd thumb, angle blade, 24",36" and 60" buckets. Rubber tracks. Heat and A/C. When I get some seat time I will let you know what I think.
Canadian Digger I am really pleased for you and certain that you have chosen wisely. It certainly sounds a high spec machine, and any pictures of the Thumb and Angle blade would be much appreciated as we don't get to have them over here. I am well pleased with my 080 and the icing on the cake will come when you have to fill it with fuel as they are so economical. Do you have a quick hitch? And if so how does the Thumb set up integrate with it? Eddie.
I would go TB175 over 080 the TB175 is conventional tail and in a mulching or heavy lift app it is better balanced than they 080...I have one and love it and wouldnt trade it for anything...it costs about $300 to install the necessary parts to run a mulcher on the TB175 Timark
I would not take anything away from a Takeuchi TB175 or any other they produce, as I've always found them ultra reliable and super smooth/strong performers. However there can be no denying they are not in the same league as Kubota when it comes to fit/finish and detail. This still does not detract from Takeuchi as they are priced more competitively and definately not percieved as a lesser machine, so perhaps with a business head on have an edge on Kubota. Definately not getting on mine lifts more than yours road, everyone wants different things from machines, but we all have something in common and that is we want a profit! I would however consider from a UK standpoint that the main direct comparisons come from the Komatsu PC 88mr and the Volvo EC88, both again excellent machines. I have to drive it every day(hopefully!) and just prefer the Kx080, the research I have done suggests a strong resale value so others are convinced also. I don't know how your 080's come but I have plugged my flail straight in with no problems and have an extra circuit that will operate the hydraulic door if required all as standard. Suppose it's horses for courses and personal preference, but as for Takeuchi I would take their TB016 over any other in the class and am actually keeping an eye out for a good used one for myself.
Heyuvavt The Kubota is not a zero tale swing. I think it maybe classed as a reduced tale as it is not very large. Eddie. Yes it also has a quick coupler. I will try and get some pictures of the blade, thumb and quick coupler for you.
Hey Eddie I took some pics of the tumb, quick coupler and angle blade.
the tak can handle the weight of our mulching head alot better than the 080...i have nothing against the 080 just wouldnt trade my 175 for one...ever and before you ask...yes I have seen the mulching head on both...DC South can help me out on this...
Canadian Digger, that is something you will definately never see in the UK! I find this whole 'Thumb' thing fascinating as you will not find any in the UK. I am currently over the other side of your beautiful country at 'Whistler' and have spent an hour today studying the machines parked up for the weekend in town. There was a Cat 320 parked up with exactly the same (obviously larger scale) thumb set up and Quick hitch with the shaped 'ears' on the bucket. I really don't know how to put this without causing a rift across the Atlantic, but it does seem a somewhat agricultural set up compared to what we are used to over here! However we don't use thumbs, and if that is how a Quick hitch needs to be configured to work with one then that's all good. The angle blade is a fair piece of metal, but I have done many jobs where that would have saved some serious time. Any Idea of the current full list price for a new machine with the Thumb and Angle blade? I desperately wanted the two piece boom, but the price difference compared to standard was ridiculous even with Kubota UK trying to assist as the machine was going to be high profile. I think your unit looks superb, and much prefer the Orange cab colour scheme you have. It should prove a very versatile and popular machine for you. I am not going to fuel the fire on the Takeuchi/Kubota debate as I have no issues with either. I still maintain the TB175 is not a direct comparison in this type of machine and is not built to a premium specification. The TB175 would go up against the Cat307 etc and the same conclusions would be reached. They are superb machines at a slightly lesser cost, and the fit/finsh and detail are slightly less. The lifting of a mulcher is not the only thing that most prospective purchasers would be buying a machine on. I would end by saying If I was buying a machine to rent out, then it would be the Takeuchi every time but to use myself and if I coud justify the extra then I'd take the Kubota.
Hey Eddie, if you want to try out a machine with a thumb and you have some spare time in Vancouver itself then pm me, I have a kubota 161 with 300 hours on it with factory thumb installed sitting on a jobsite in town right now
Dan, that is an extremely kind and tempting offer but we unfortunately only come back down that lunatic highway to return to the airport. I will say that the whole 'Thumb' thing is quite fascinating as seriously and any other UK guys will back me up we just don't have them. The closest thing we have are grapples, but obviously these are fixed and not in the same league. I would love to see how yours is set up on the machine, and if the same quick hitch set up is used. We only have 'pin grabber' types not this funny shaped ear idea on buckets. I must add I used a KX161 for some 3 months and to be perfectly honest I have never used another machine where the phrase 'punching above it's weight' would be more appropriate. They are absolutely superb machines capable of some serious work in a compact package. I had a 5 tonne Bobcat for a few weeks after and despite being a strong performer seemed to have the tailswing of a 20 tonner! Completely off topic, but where are you with the Olympics Dan? Many people we have spoken to are completely underwhelmed and not looking forward to paying the bill for many years to come!
My Thumb set-up is identical to the one in the pics above and the quick coupler is very similar with the exception of the pin to lock the bucket in place, mine has a wedge lock system which leaves less play or looseness in the connection. Both have their advantages though. Once you get used to having a thumb you will never want to be without, they are just soo versatile and can help the machine do things that would be next to impossible without, tomorrow morning I have to load some concrete slabs in a dumptruck that are 6' x 5' x 12 inches thick, have the 18 inch bucket on there and can easily grab them with the thumb, not sure how I could load them without it being the size they are, if I get a chance I will take a video and show it working. My machine is just 15 minutes of the highway to the airport if you do get a chance and want to play with it:drinkup The Olympics have been great from a construction perspective and the legacy of the fine buildings and stadiums that we now have as a result and its great that we can host such a top notch event but yes the costs to us now and our children in the future will be a bit hard to swallow
Eddie. You can also get another kind of thumb that mounts on the stick that uses a different mounting pin that the bucket, this set up is not as good as the kind that uses the same pivot point as the bucket, But it does let you use any kind of pin grabber quick couple. I think you guys in the UK should really try and get thumbs mounted on your excavators. You would have a real nice advantage over your competition !
I do most of the installs dealing with our smallest DAH-080C head. Most of the units have been Kubota kx080's. They are well built and good performing machine's. A few high points. 1. They have twin hydraulic circuits out the boom. One low flow and one high flow. So what this means is you can run the head with the high flow circuit and the return line of the low flow as the case drain. Add a remote filter on the case drain line and your done. 2. Next they put out 26 gpm @3500-3600psi which is pretty good. 3. You can mulch most of the day on a tank of fuel. 4. Reach is good. I would add a counter weight just to make it as stable as possible. It is fine stock but better countered. 5. The Tak 175 is right there with the Kubota. The one thing I did like about the Tak is it has a conventional tail which is alittle better balanced. Would be equal to the Kubota with a additional weight. We have checked and Kubota does offer an additional counterweight. 6. I guess the deal breaker would be availabilty in your area and pricing for each. 7. One other thing Kubota offers a 36" bucket as an option, that is stout! Hope this helped.
Digger Dan my wife's face looked exactly like this when I suggested an early trip to the airport via a few laps on a Kubota! I hope the Olympics come good and are a real success, as the UK will endeavour to make a complete disaster of the 2012 summer ones! Canadian Digger you are absolutely right about 'Thumbs' on UK machines, and I for one can see the countless applications you probably all take for granted. I'll probably start a new thread to see what would be the best set up to integrate with 'pin grabber hitch' from the likes of Miller and Geith as these are the most common in the UK. We are all converted over here to the ability to turn the bucket around face shovel style, so a 'pin grabber' is a must. Dc South, I am glad you have mentioned the DAH-080c head as I've been looking into something more than my current flail and this keeps coming up. I am assuming it is the Denis -Ciamf (think that's how it goes) head? I don't suppose you know if anyone in the UK distributes them, or even if any have made it across the water to our shores. It has suddenly dawned on me why I am sceptical about previous balance comments, and that is I'm not comparing like for like. My machine is running 36" steel pads, extended blade and a huge chunk of hydraulic winch opposite end of the blade. It feels Bolted to the floor at all times, and I've never used a Flail on a standard one to comment any different so I'll take the advice on the Takeuchi as it would make perfect sense being a conventional tail machine. There is definately an additional counterweight available for the Kx -080, it is a bolt on item especially for the 'Two piece' boom version. Some very lucky owner of one of these versions may post us a picture.
The name is Denis Cimaf ,close. That is who I work for. As far as I know we have not sold a head in the UK but I will ask. And if not there a first time for everything. Our heads can pickup where the flail's leave off. It is pretty wild what our heads can cut. Have you ever seen the video's on you tube of them running? take a look and see what you think. The Kubota (reg 080 not split boom) have a big blade as well. We have hung tractor weights on the blade and tunred the blade to be out back and used that setup as a counterwight as well, crude but it worked. I will try ti get some pics of a split boom, the Kubota place I deal with has one.
DC south, it is always amazing just who and what turns up on this forum. I have studied the Denis Cimaf (I was close ) head and was very impressed by the principle and performance on the video. Other forums seem to give high praise of the units. I fully understand the idea of actually trying to cut the wood instead of thrashing it into submission with a hammer, and the fact that you have to spend 10 minutes sharpening a day is no issue at all. I always end the day cleaning off the mower, greasing and checking all the flails anyway so it would become routine. The only downside I see is the fact that you can't get down onto the ground to mulch a little into the soil, but obviously the much improved performance on standing timber counteracts this. I am currently looking for a head to tackle Rhododandrons, and obviously this will entail contacting the ground, so I assume your head not be suited to this and I'm swayed towards a fixed tooth Forestry Flail. However there is a definate need for a high performance head that will eliminate most of the standing timber on sites effectively. Anything up to around 8", especially Hawthorn which is extremely dangerous for the Tree Lads. Clients are extremely impressed by how effectively the flail can open an area up to enable the Tree Lads to work more safely and effectively, but by being able to then switch and take out all the smaller awkward stuff would be a huge advantage. I definately see a Three head system for the Kubota (Flail mower/Denis Cimaf Head/ForestryMulcher) giving the ability to tackle anything from grass to 10" trees on difficult/sensitive sites with minimal input from Manual labour. I was honestly at the point of contacting the company anyway to see if any units are in the UK, failing that it looks like a trip across the pond to see one in action. The Kubota was always intended to be a high profile machine, so it could be a good place for one of your units anyway. If you wish to get any of my contact details or can give me a rough indication of the price of a unit/options and teeth prices then please PM me. Thanks Eddie
How do I get rid of that angry face on my last post because I never put it there?:beatsme:Banghead:bash
I can narrow down the list from 3 style heads to 2 and maybe even 1. With knives we can cut grass as well. Fixed knive verses a swinging knife means a more constant cut. A very expensive lawn mower but a great one. You can get into the dirt with our head without damage, but as you said the more you do the more wear on the blades. But from my operating and training customers on there machine's the advantage of more productive cut, increased capacity of what you can cut, quality of finished product, and shear speed outway the increased wear on the blades. For example you look at the job and if you forsee alot of ground contact then include a set of blades into the price of the job. You price by the job, cover your extra blade expense, still get done in half the time compared to using a carbide or damaging a flail due to engaging material that is too large for the flail. I'm not knocking a flail, when I was mulching a ran one and it served my quit well. But while sitting there cutting you can easily see where a high production planier head would really shine. PM sent.
Hey Eddie I just saw the pics of your excavator. Well done work and thought into improvements. I know some customers who could use them here. For a counter weight, I think the blade has a hollow spot in it and you could fill with concrete or like. Or just add some steel to it and you would be set and just run it with blade outback. But with those tracks you may not even need it. Well done.
Dcsouth, sorry I didn't know you hadn't seen the 'sneak preview' thread, it's probably due a name change but I just keep adding to it as the story unfolds. I am glad you appreciate the mods, and believe it or not it actually feels happier working blade out front. I usually lower it to around 6" from the floor for better vision and away she goes. I don't need to tell you that nowhere in the working envelope troubles it with the big pads on. The winch weighs around 200kg without the rope! and is a monster! so that helps considerably. I hear you with the use of a 'Denis' head for ground engaging, and had not considered the option of just trashing a few more blades as they are cheaper anyway. The work I have in mind is very high profile on sensitive sites, and cost is not always the main consideration so it could indeed replace 2 heads and the extra blade cost factored into the quotes. As for the current Osma mower I have, I seriously couldn't be happier with it as it has a good 4ft 2" cut and produces a great finish on everything I have asked of it so far. I am very keen to get the second head though to prevent me being too greedy with the flail and using it on things it was never designed for. I will PM you with a little more info, If there are no units in the UK then it looks like I'm coming to you!
Thanks, Still got alot of research to do before I stroke a check
Looking to re kindle this conversation if I could. I have been looking at purchasing a kx080 to primarily run a mulching head. Currently I am running a Tak TB290 on a lease plan and love the machine but its time to own one. Question I have to you guys is that the Kx080-3 that im looking at seems to only have proportional control on the high flow circuit. I will like to run a thumb as well and it would be nice to have that on a proportional control valve. Anybody set up a 080-3 with both a one way flow cutting tool and a thumb?